Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Thracia Apollonia Coin set in a Ring  (Read 442 times)

Offline Ilya K

• Auxiliary
Thracia Apollonia Coin set in a Ring
« on: January 06, 2023, 02:42:20 pm »
hi all,

I purchased the pictured coin as part of a ring from an extremely reputable source. As I got interested in the origin of the coin, I found all the references online to the black sea hoard and the NY hoard of this type of coin. While normally I would never question the authenticity coming from this source, since these are so highly faked I wanted to ask:

Is this authentic in your opinion?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Ilya K

• Auxiliary
Re: Thracia Apollonia Coin set in a Ring
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2023, 02:43:19 pm »
photo of the back attached

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Thracia Apollonia Coin set in a Ring
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2023, 04:01:35 pm »
It is very difficult to judge authenticity of a coin in a ring. I do not find it suspicious at all based on the photos, but if it was mine I would compare it with the known fakes to look for die matches. I would not expect to find one.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity