Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Trajan Sestertius  (Read 472 times)

Offline Trajanus

• Praetorian
Trajan Sestertius
« on: September 06, 2022, 12:32:04 pm »
Hello again everybody! I just managed to get my very first coin of Trajan as well as my first Sestertius denomination. I wanted to ask if you all knew any more information about this coin type with the Dacian being speared by Trajan on Horseback. I know there is another type similar to this one with the Dacian falling in front of the horse rather than below. I believe the one I have that is below the horse is the much rarer type of the two. I sadly do not have any of the books yet for Trajan's coins, so I am limited to the OCRE website identification for this coin type. I was wondering if anybody else that has expertise in Trajan's coinage or has the old original RIC book from Vespasian to Hadrian that shows Trajan's coinage that would be great. This is the first coin in my series that I hope to start collecting based on each emperor's military victories/conquests with this one being from Trajan conquest of Dacia following his return from the Second Dacian War. I believe this would be an EF or XF condition type, but I am not sure entirely. If anybody else has some coins of this same reverse type feel free to post them below. If you have the old RIC book can someone tell me what is the frequency of this reverse type? I know that those books have a frequency standard like S for Scare and R for Rare or C for common. Thank you and I am happy to start growing my collection. Have a great week!

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: Trajan Sestertius
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2022, 12:54:53 pm »
Beautiful coin
The rarity in RIC is often wrong. I would not give much importance to these.

RIC 534

Offline Trajanus

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2022, 01:02:27 pm »
Hello, Yes I understand the frequencies are based on coins in museums only, but they are still worth adding to my identification records for this coin. Also sorry to correct you, but the image you sent from the book shows that it's the type with the Dacian in front of the horse rather than below. I have as you can see from the picture above the type with the Dacian below the horse. If you can send a screenshot of that one that would be awesome. Thank you for trying to help me out it means so much.

Offline DzikiZdeb

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2022, 03:07:15 pm »
Quote from: Trajanus on September 06, 2022, 12:32:04 pm
I know there is another type similar to this one with the Dacian falling in front of the horse rather than below.
Neither RIC nor MIR distinguish between these types.

I believe the one I have that is below the horse is the much rarer type of the two.
Maybe, but this is just a coincidence, not a deliberate act. I took the first 50 copies from acsearch and 39 of them showed Dacian in front of horse and 11 - below horse.

I sadly do not have any of the books yet for Trajan's coins.
This is not a good sequence. It's much better to have good books first and accumulate knowledge before buying coins.

If you have the old RIC book can someone tell me what is the frequency of this reverse type?
Old RIC is from 1926. Almost century old! Imagine how many coins have been found / described since then.

I wanted to ask if you all knew any more information about this coin type with the Dacian being speared by Trajan on Horseback.

This is one of the most popular scenes from the Dacian wars. In addition to the coins, you can also see it on Trajan's Column (CXLV scene). It shows the man who found Decebal when he killed himself - Ti. Claudius Maxmius (catalogs say Trajan is on the coins - or maybe we should have seen this little-known officer there?):

This scene can also be seen on the Maximus tomb, which has survived to this day:

"Tiberius Claudius Maximus, veteran, arranged this memorial while he was alive. He served as trooper in Legio VII Claudia Pia Fidelis, was made quaestor equitum, then singularis of the legatus legionis of the same legion, then vexillarius of the troopers of that unit, received awards from Emperor Domitian for bravery in the Dacian War, was made duplicarius in the Ala II Pannoniorum by the Emperor Trajan and was made explorator in the Dacian War and twice received awards for bravery in the Dacian and the Parthian War and was made decurio in the same ala by him because he had captured Decebalus and bore his head to him in Ranisstorum. He received his honourable discharge as a voluntarius from the consular commander Terentius Scaurianus, of the army of the Provincia Mesopotamia Nova."

The image itself is the so-called "thracian horseman", very popular in the Balkans since the 3rd century BC: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thracian_horseman

Offline Trajanus

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2022, 05:58:15 pm »
Ah I see thank you for telling me that the below or in front of horse type is shown together as one spot in the book. It is sad that the 1926 book has not been updated yet, so this is the best I can get for Trajan's coinage. I have the Trajan coin book that is in German, but it doesn't tell much other than offer nice bust types and reverse type images. I am assuming when you mean the soldier on the reverse that you believe it to be not Trajan on horseback, but rather Tiberius Claudius Maximus? Also referring to the frequency of the coin; you seem to have ignored my last post as I stated I know that it is usually irrelevant and especially outdated, but I still wanted to know what they thought it was. I didn't care if it is inaccurate or not. Also about me guessing that the below horse types were rarer than the in front of horse types is because from Woytek's 2010 book he has also specified more die types for the in front of horse type rather than the below horse type which is a much more recently published book. I have also personally seen more of that type for sale in auctions and on websites, so that is my reasoning why I believe it to seem to be more rare than the other reverse type in my opinion. Also about that somewhat insulting response to me not owning any books on Trajan's coins is that sadly there hardly are any up to date books on Trajan's coinage and I have been reading up about his coinage for quite a while now before I even ended up buying a coin, so please don't assume I have no knowledge on his coinage despite owning none of his books. Most of his books I have had the privilege to rent and look at sometimes. Anyways thank you for trying to help despite the condescending attitude accompanied with it. I hope you have a great evening.

Offline Trajanus

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2022, 07:18:07 pm »
To counter your argument that the coin reverse shows Decebalus being spearied by Tiberius Claudius Maximus which is certainly could be, I instead found an image of Trajan also killing a Dacian while on horseback that is depicted on his column in Rome. It has a similar look to the coin reverse as well. I hope you found this informative, but I do like your take on the reverse interpretation though. It's interesting. Have a great evening.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity