Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: How do I clean from the impeded sand without further eroding the metal  (Read 457 times)

StartDust A

How do I clean from the impeded sand without further eroding the metal?

And what coins are those?

Thanks

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Re: How do I clean from the impeded sand without further eroding the metal
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2022, 01:19:28 pm »
Hi.  It is usually better not to overclean ancient coins.  The sandy background gives some contrast and makes the coin more readable.  There is a section in the discussion board with advice on cleaning.  You will want to preserve the patina if there is one and avoid exposing bare metal on any part of the coin, if possible.  ForumAncientCoins.com is also a coin shop with excellent service and guaranteed ancient coins.

Best regards, V-drome

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?board=8.0

StartDust A

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2022, 02:11:09 pm »
Thanks

Offline Aleph

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2022, 07:13:38 pm »
Agree.  It doesn’t look bad or more importantly unstable.  I wouldn’t mess with it unless you know what you are doing.

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2022, 11:28:04 pm »
Hi SDA,

I think it looks beautiful just the way it is. Leave it alone. Why would you want to risk ruining it?

I actually prefer the sandy background.

Meepzorp

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2022, 07:54:53 pm »
I agree, cleaned it would be much harder to see the details.

The fields are likely not very smooth.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Kevin D

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2022, 10:00:20 pm »
In the photo, there looks to be quite a bit of ´sand´ that has come off the coin (sand or dirt laying on the table top or surface that the coin is placed on).

Is the ´sand´ on the coin so loose that lightly brushing it with a very soft artist´s brush would cause sand to easily fall off?

Some collectors refer to a ´desert patina´ when the sand colored deposits are hard and not falling off with handeling. A ´desert patina´ is disirable to many collectors.

Offline ChefStu22

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2022, 06:23:06 am »
I must admit here are a couple of my 'desert patina' coins and I think the contrast is stunning 😍

All coins are guaranteed for eternity