Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Ancient Greek tetradrachm (Athena head / owl) - genuine or fake?  (Read 2129 times)

Offline H. Kennedy

• Legionary
    • Haggen Kennedy
Hello all.

I was wondering if someone might be able to help me ascertain whether this tetradrachm is genuine.

I bought it on eBay from a UK seller who assured me "it's been verified by an expert we have check all coins for us prior to purchase and sale." I noticed, however, that the pictures he posted on the auction profile for this particular coin belong to a different coin than the one he shipped. To be fair, both coins (the one used in the auction pictures, as well as the one he sent me) really are remarkably similar, the differences are rather minute, perhaps even negligible (they are mayhap from the same production batch?).

Hopefully, the pictures I took will be clear enough for you, but please, if anyone needs another, better picture of a certain element, or angle, please let me know and I'll post more pictures.

I know a virtual assessment is not ideal, but I'll gladly take it.

Diameter: 26mm
Weight: 17.8gr
Material: described as silver in the auction (I checked for iron with a neodymium magnet, and the magnet was inert)

Thank you so much in advance.

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Ancient Greek tetradrachm (Athena head / owl) - genuine or fake?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2022, 12:52:18 pm »

Offline H. Kennedy

• Legionary
    • Haggen Kennedy
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2022, 02:23:50 pm »
Hi, Din X.

First of all, thank you so much for your swift reply. I have two questions:

1) How sure are we that this is the case? I.e., that this coin is not authentic and that it is based on this Petar Petrov version? I ask because, on the obverse, the head of Athena has a number of discrepancies compared to the picture you provided (the 3 flowers on top of the helmet, the thickness of the lines, the hair that is curved right below the helmet and above the eyes, etc.). The reverse, however, with the owl, is remarkably... identical? I would be hard-pressed to find a difference.

2) How did you know to find this exact model and type of replica? There is no irony here, the knowledge you guys have is just ridiculous. I'm very impressed. Especially in such a short amount of time. You had answered before I got back from the restroom.

And, well, a third question would be: should I include this coin in the Fake Coin Reports section? How do I know it is not already there? Even narrowing down the search, I still get so many hundreds of results.

Again, thank you so much for getting back to me.

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2022, 03:27:19 pm »
One reason why I collect ancient coins is because every anceint coins is unique already due to striking and different planchets and centering.
If you collect modern coins each looks identical, they are machine pressed on identical planchets. (for me it is boring).

The differences you see are most likely due to striking and different die states and pictures which can be misleading (depending on camera, camera settings, lumination, angle/axis of camera and so on).
Wear can make details look flater and so a little bit different, too.
You should rather look how many details they have in common and if hand cut dies can have so many identical details, answer is no.

I collect fake and authentic coins.
I have seen many of these fakes from same dies and artist already in the past and I own already one of these.
And I have pictures of several fakes from the same dies sold by fake or replica sellers.
The style, planchet, fabric and exact alloy composition is wrong.
Here are modern hand cut dies owl fakes from different artists and countries, only one is a transfer die fake (second row from above second left one).

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2022, 03:32:49 pm »
Some authentic owls from different times and emissions for comparison, I know that they are not really good but I need all my money for fakes and fake dies.

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2022, 06:39:54 am »
Din X,

I hope you have some idea of how valuable your work is to the rest of us!

Mac

Offline H. Kennedy

• Legionary
    • Haggen Kennedy
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2022, 08:11:41 am »
Din X,

Again, thank you so much for helping me out with this.

I contacted the seller on eBay, who told me "the coin is the one in the photos" (it is not), and that "I have never sent a coin or anything else out before that wasn’t the correct item" (another lie: I have found 2 'neutral' feedback postings under his profile claiming he had sent them the wrong coin -- if I kept looking, I would probably find others). And that "regarding its authenticity, I have personally had it checked by an expert as I do all coins before sale, not only that but all other aspects meet the correct criteria for a genuine coin - it has no pitting, no cast lines, it’s solid silver, the correct weight and size etc etc etc. I am in no doubt the coin is genuine." Obviously it has no pitting, cast lines, it is solid silver, and its weight and size are correct: it is a handmade replica, crafted in the same manner as they did in antiquity. The company on Etsy that you (Din X) gave me a link to (which I forwarded to the seller) says that clearly. Therefore, the seller just avoided the issue.

He also says, "I have no doubt there are people out there selling copies but they are also based off real coins so a link to a copy that looks like the coin you have isn’t really the same as saying it’s the same coin." Yes, but again, he does not address what I said in my message -- namely, that the owl on my coin is exactly the same as the one on the link you provided, including its faults and background markings. There is a difference between "based off" and "identical". So, again, he did not address my particular grievance.

I also asked for proof/documentation that might back up his claim that he acquired this coin from a Wigan collection (as initially, he'd told me "I got this from a Wigan collection in 2019. Their details were that it came from an Essex collection back in the early 2000’s but a specific year wasn’t detailed"). But he simply skipped my question, and did not so much as mention it in his reply. So, no proof. I can see that had been another lie.

Recently, someone left an actual negative feedback for him claiming he'd sold a fake coin claiming it was authentic. This feedback was not there at the time I purchased this coin, otherwise I would not have bought it. In my last message to the seller, I called his attention to it, and he said the buyer's issue was with the shipping cost, not with the coin itself (?). The gall. This is the feedback: "BEWARE TO ALL SELLERS!!! FAKE,FAKE,FAKE coin described as an AUTHENTIC,GENUINE ANTIQUE GREEK". But sure, the buyer's issue is with the shipping.  ::)

His solution is for me to return the coin. But it doesn't address the fact that 1) no one will reimburse me the customs & import fees I had to pay; and 2) he will keep selling fake items to people, claiming they are genuine, thereby continuing his practice of deceiving others. He could simply sell these coins as replicas, he would still get money for them, I'm sure. It's unfortunate that deceivers, when called out, would still stand by their shroud of fraudulent behavior.

If he had replied saying it was an honest mistake, and that he didn't know, I would have felt better about it. But given that he lied about the coin's provenance (and failed to prove it when I asked for documentation), and that he continued lying after I called him out on it, this speaks clearly of the premeditation of his intent to deceive. This being the case, can I add this person to the Forvm's Notorious Fake Sellers List? I don't know what the prerequisites are.

Also, thank you so much for the images you posted. Not only is it a sight incredible to behold, but also it really is a lovely collection. Out of curiosity, what are the lowest and highest prices you've paid for a fake tetradrachm? And, conversely, what are the lowest and highest prices you've paid for a genuine tetradrachm? If you are comfortable disclosing that information, of course.

I see you also have a case with a tetradrachm issued by NGC. Can I ask, are you able to open that whenever you like? Are these cases like Leuchtturm's Quickslab cases that you can open and close at any time? Or are they sealed and protected?

Anyway, thank you so much again for your help, I truly appreciate it. It is amazing how one person can have such a devastating effect on the lives of other people (fraudsters, killers, Hitler...), but the same goes the other way around, and one person can definitely make a difference for the good in other people's lives. The latter has certainly been your case regarding myself, and, I assume, regarding many others in this Forvm. Thank you.

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2022, 12:22:17 pm »
1) no one will reimburse me the customs & import fees I had to pay;

Unfortunate, yes, but consider it a small price to pay for the knowledge you've gained here.

Like others here say all the time...."know the coin or know the seller".

Craig

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2022, 08:27:54 pm »
1) no one will reimburse me the customs & import fees I had to pay;

Unfortunate, yes, but consider it a small price to pay for the knowledge you've gained here.

Like others here say all the time...."know the coin or know the seller".

Craig

This.

If you are not an expert, avoid eBay and buy from trusted coin dealers that offer in onditional guarantees of authenticity. The website (forum) is a great place to start.

Cheaper is not usually better when it comes to coins.  Fakes abound.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline H. Kennedy

• Legionary
    • Haggen Kennedy
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2022, 08:38:44 am »
If you are not an expert, avoid eBay and buy from trusted coin dealers that offer in onditional guarantees of authenticity. The website (forum) is a great place to start.

Cheaper is not usually better when it comes to coins.  Fakes abound.
Hi, Ron. Funny, I saw your profile (and gallery) yesterday. I'd done a search, and one of your posts came up, so I was reading what you had to say (something about how tetradrachms are implausibly expensive, given that they are the commonest of the ancient coin types).

But more to the point, in reply to your comment, you're right, obviously. I wish I could have become acquainted with this website before I purchased this coin, but that is not how it happened. I was thinking about this yesterday, too -- how, had I known about the replicas that Din X mentioned, I would have bought those instead, since they were cheaper than what I paid on mine. Also, because I see, now that I spent a good deal of time yesterday searching for it, that tetradrachms can fetch very high prices indeed (which is the reason why I ended up seeing your comment on precisely this issue, for that matter). These two arguments combined would be enough for me to purchase that replica on Etsy. But of course, I wouldn't have known about it if I hadn't first purchased my coin and then posted on this website. It's pretty much the time-travel grandfather paradox. It is the reason why I don't regret what happened. Because without this series of events, as cmcdon0923 expertly put it, I wouldn't have gained this knowledge. So, it's all good.

I don't know if I fully agree with the saying "know the coin or know the seller", because in the beginning, when you are just starting out in the numismatics world (or in any world, for that matter), you know neither coin nor seller. And you absolutely do not know who to trust (since, again, you are just starting out). Misinformation is so widely spread these days, and so easily accessible. It can be very hard to navigate it. So, if you follow that aphorism to the letter, you may either never buy a coin or wait years to do it (when, sometimes, opportunity might not wait around that long). And you have to start from somewhere. In fact, from what I've read here on the Forvm, even when you know both, there is a chance you might still get a fake, given the fact that even reputable sellers sometimes can be deceived. That said, of course, if you don't know either, it's a gamble. I suppose it's always a gamble, but the probability of it gets lower and lower as you get more knowledgeable. Either way, I'm very thankful I came across this Forvm, it's an incredible knowledge trove. And some of the galleries I've seen are just out of this world. Really very impressive.

At any rate, I absolutely agree with what you said. If you are not an expert, it's best to stay away from eBay and other such websites; and, quite certainly, cheaper is not usually better (in coins or anything else). It's just very hard to even have any idea what "cheaper" is when you're just starting out. You don't have a frame of reference, and if something seems cheaper, you don't know that it really is (other bidders may simply have missed the opportunity, or the item may be cheaper because one of the hundreds of elements that make up an expensive coin, such as strike, general condition etc. might not be present -- but that would be inconsequential to you, because you'd want the coin anyway). Beginnings are hard. I don't know who first said ignorance is bliss, but it's hard for me to agree with that. You can get so effed when you're ignorant...

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2022, 11:48:52 am »
If it makes you feel any better, it's probable everyone on this thread has at some point bought a fake coin by accident. I know I have, but I only take risks in affordable coins. I buy my whales from the most reputable sources I can find.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2022, 10:56:42 pm »
The corollary to "know the coin or know the seller" is "buy the book before the coin", or, in more practical terms, read as much as you can online about the coinage that piques your interest.  The coins that an entry-level collector (or even most collectors) should be comfortable with are really much more available than some people on the "sell-side" want new collectors to believe.  A bit of patience and internet research go a long way. 
 I say, "don't worry,  be happy," but by that I mean don't buy coins at a price point that makes you worry until you have a fair amount of confidence in your knowledge.  There are many authentic and reasonably priced coins available from established dealers.  If a dealer only exists as an eBay handle, the likelihood of them being honest OR knowledgeable diminishes considerably. Many established dealers,  such as Forum, will post on Ebay, but look at all the other ways you can validate Forum, compared to eBay seller "meaninglessname1234".
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2022, 10:22:05 am »
Quote from: H. Kennedy on May 20, 2022, 08:38:44 am
...I don't know if I fully agree with the saying "know the coin or know the seller, because in the beginning, when you are just starting out in the numismatics world (or in any world, for that matter), you know neither coin nor seller. "...

You left out the last part. "OR DO NOT BUY." You wait until you know a reputable reliable seller with expertise and a guarantee. Let me be very blunt. You are too new and ignorant to disagree with our experts here. Also, at this point, you do know at least one reputable dealer...FORVM. But here on FORVM you registered without including your complete address. You gave your address to a fraud eBay seller, but not here. Since you are not willing to share your address, I take it you never plan to buy from FORVM.

Your account is about to be deleted. We require a complete and accurate registration to participate here.

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity