Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A Commodus Caesar difficult to identify?  (Read 273 times)

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
A Commodus Caesar difficult to identify?
« on: January 15, 2022, 11:12:59 am »
For a long time I am searching through the listed Commodus coins to find this one, but without succes.
Somebody any idea?

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: A Commodus Caesar difficult to identify?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2022, 01:16:09 pm »
Dear Jan P and Board,

You have an issue of Alexandria Troas for Commodus as Caesar as you already correctly identified.  Normally, it would be extremely difficult to decide which standing Apollo Smintheus variety your coin belongs to, but thanks to a probable reverse legend error on your specimen (i.e. "[CO]L AG [TROA]"), this may be a match:

https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/4/8951

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2022, 03:04:21 pm »
Dear Mark Fox,
I am impressed and I thank you very much!
Your identification is very convincing. Yes, I could read "O L A G" on the revers, but that knowledge brought me nowhere.
I notice that the comment on your piece puts "V" in parenthese:"C O L A (V) G", where on my piece there is no V.
Also Apollo Smintheus with his quiver and bow ... convincing!
Does the comment mean: only 3 known specimen of your piece and what about the "(temporary)" for the reference 8951 ?

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2022, 05:21:24 pm »
Well, I did not know who Mark Fox is.
Meanwhile I know as much that I have all reasons to be very honoured with his answer here on my question.

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2022, 01:35:58 am »
Dear Jan P and Board,

Good grief!  You are making my text blush, but in truth, I often feel I am only a little better than a numismatic nobody.

You raised some good questions regarding RPC Online, so here are my answers to them.   

RPC Online is the web version of the printed volumes of Roman Provincial Coinage (there will be ten volumes in all, some divided into parts).  This website also serves as a digital database for adding new coins for the books that have and have not yet been published.  To successfully tackle this immense project, a lot of editors were needed, each assigned to a particular volume or section within a volume.  Because everyone is ultimately different in how they do research and catalog coins, some of this "personality" shows up in their work.  For example, RPC VII.1 (published in book form in 2006) is basically a die catalog, with even minute varieties given their very own RPC catalog number.  RPC IV (and its four parts), on the other hand, is not quite so exacting.  That is why, for RPC IV.2, 8951 (temporary), the 'V' in 'AVG" was put within parentheses.  Coins with or without that letter, but which are the same in every other (described) respect, were considered similar enough to be placed under the same catalog number.  I should also point out here that the decision to do this was also probably due to practical reasons, such as cost and space.  The Antonine Period (AD 138–192) encompasses a huge amount of coinage over a wide geographical area and the course of many years.  To give every minor coin variety during this time period a separate number would likely turn each printed work into a heavy and expensive phone book!

As for the "temporary" suffix attached to RPC IV.2, 8951, that simply means that the book for part two of volume four has not been printed yet and that the editors are still accepting coin submissions before cataloging the coins with permanent numbers.

And, lastly, yes!  RPC Online apparently only knows of three specimens of RPC IV.2, 8951:  one in the British Museum (L), one in the Staatliche Museen zu Berlin (B), and one in the Geldmuseum of the Österreichische Nationalbank in Vienna, Austria (V-ON).  Submit your coin, Jan, and make it four!  There are instructions on the website for doing that.  Here:

https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/feedback/create

You can also e-mail the editors directly (like I have done in the past).  If you are interested and need further help with any of this, feel free to ask.   

In any case, I hope your original questions were answered!

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2022, 05:24:56 am »
Dear Mark Fox,
I thank you sincerely for the elaborate information on the subject.
Following your advice, I just submitted the coin for RPC IV.2
I think, I make me a print-out of this topic :o!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity