Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Ex ILM - What is ILM?  (Read 567 times)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Ex ILM - What is ILM?
« on: June 27, 2023, 02:06:49 pm »
I have a coin that is ex CNG e-auction 510 (23 Feb 2022), lot 288; ex Dr. Jay M. Galst Collection, ex ILM (7 Dec 2000). Anyone know the full name, location, anything about ILM? Thanks.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Bill W4

• Caesar
Re: Ex ILM - What is ILM?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2023, 08:41:46 pm »
I googled ILM numismatics and got answers to sites in India but nothing going back to 2010.  Maybe a start?
I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member!

Offline Callimachus

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2023, 10:01:44 pm »
Well, whoever they are, ILM deals with high-end coins.
A Year 5 Jewish Wars Shekel purchased from ILM was lot 403 in the Triton XXV auction.

Offline DzikiZdeb

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2023, 01:37:09 am »
I didn't find what ILM was, but from what I see it appears with coins sold by CNG always in the context of Dr. Jay M. Galst Collection and purchase dates range from 1990-2007.

Earliest purchase date (1990): https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=8978966

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2023, 05:13:27 am »
FROM THE ANS, July 2021

Over the course of forty years of serious collecting, our friend and colleague Jay Martin Galst amassed an important collection of ancient and medieval coins, many from the Holy Land, as well as modern coins, medals, and tokens, particularly those related to his profession of ophthalmology. Over a year now since Jay died from complications of COVID-19 during the worst of the initial pandemic surge in New York City, his presence is still sorely missed here at the ANS, where he was a frequent visitor. Jay always intended that the bulk of his collection eventually be sold both to benefit his family, and, as a consummate collector himself, to ensure that others might have the opportunity to collect and enjoy the items that he once owned and enjoyed. Currently, Jay’s collection is being auctioned by Classical Numismatic Group, LLC. with some of the auctions having already taken place, but with more still to come.

Alex

P.S. ILM wouldn't have anything to do with International Legal Materials would it, maybe something regarding the importation of coins from somewhere like Israel given J M Gaist's connection with coins from the Holy Land? Just a guess because it took months for me to receive a coin from Israel because of the legal paperwork involved. - Alex

Offline Callimachus

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2023, 11:29:13 am »
I suppose someone could email CNG as ask . . .

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2023, 09:18:57 pm »
CNG catalogs usually have a bibliography - is ILM in one of those ?

Offline Curtis JJ

• Caesar
    • CONSERVATORI: Ancient Coins & Their Provenances
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2023, 10:48:36 am »
CNG sold about 30+ Galst coins ex ILM, most or all Judaean & related, purchases dated c. 1987-2007. I assume CNG gets that from Galst's white collector envelopes. I can't find any firms in Fitzwilliam's catalog library that would fit.

At least two were indirect purchases, i.e., had intermediate sales: The Brody Collection, Goldberg 98 & NY Sale XXXIX. Both Brody sales said "privately purchased," 2002 & 2006. The Galst sales IDed those as bought by Brody from ILM.

Sounds like another collector, maybe from Bronx or NY Coin Clubs, or another friend of Galst's? (Seems like he knew everyone.)

Unless it's a Latinized initials for Joel L Malter! (Just joking, but 2007 wouldn't fit.)
“Collect the collectors…” John W Adams’ advice to J Orosz (Asylum 38, 2: p51)

Galleries https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=27154

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2023, 03:26:28 pm »
Thanks all. Seems to be a collector's initial, which will remain a mystery for now.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity