Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Constantine and Trajan - The SPQR & Standards Reverse Type  (Read 1169 times)

Offline wolfgang336

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Aut Caesar Aut Nullus
Constantine and Trajan - The SPQR & Standards Reverse Type
« on: March 05, 2021, 11:09:28 am »
I read recently that Maria Alfoldi believed that Constantine was fascinated by Trajan. Unfortunately I don't have Alfodi's text on this point, but it does seem that at least some archaeological/numismatic evidence could corroborate this. The most obvious example would be Constantine 'borrowing' the styles and reliefs of Trajan for his famous arch.

The numismatic evidence is more enigmatic. A thread some years ago about a newly discovered follis from the London mint contained some suggestions that the reverse type (a figure seated on a curule-like chair constructed of cornucopias) had been inspired by a similar type by Trajan: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=85446.0. Alfodi is mentioned.

The same thread references Constantine's use of the SPQR Optimo Principi type, which was also used by Trajan. I include examples below (the follis is mine). My understanding is that Trajan's denarius was minted in approximately 112-113, which would place it precisely 200 years before Constantine adopted the type following his victory over Maxentius at the Milvian Bridge.

My question (which stems from a total ignorance of Trajanic coinage) is this: what event sparked Trajan's use of the type (the Dacian conquests?) and is there some reason to believe that Constantine was trying to draw a parallel between that event and his victory over Maxentius?

And are there other examples of Constantinian coinage seemingly drawn from Trajan?

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Constantine and Trajan - The SPQR & Standards Reverse Type
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2021, 07:40:16 pm »
Constantine certainly copied more than one of Trajan's coin types, and does seem to have had him on his mind... In Aurelius Victor's "De Caesaribus" he records that Constantine liked to call Trajan "herba parietaria" (wallflower) on account of so many roman walls having his name or likeness on them.

The three standards SPQR Optimo Principi type does of course copy Trajan, but interestingly more proximately copies Alexander of Carthage who had used it just a couple of years earlier (and who was in some sort of alliance with Constantine against Maxentius).

Constantine also copied Trajan's SPQR Optimo Principi in wreath gold type (unlisted for Constantine) which makes him seem a bit desperate. The type was appropriate to Trajan since he'd been awarded the title "Optimo Princeps" by the senate, and his version of the coin type features the oak-leaved corona civica which he had also been awarded. Constantine had neither the title nor corona civica, so his copy of the type has to use a different type of crown/wreath instead (corona sacerdotalis/spicea perhaps ?).

Later, in Constantinople, two unlisted Constantine types (one for himself, one for Constantius II as caesar) also copy Trajan SPQR types. The "SPQR Optimo Caesari" horseback type for Constantius also seems a bit inappropriate since Trajan's version apparently copied a (since lost) statue of himself, the Equus Traiani, which had been located in Trajan's forum in Rome.

Ben

Offline wolfgang336

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Aut Caesar Aut Nullus
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 07:56:43 pm »
Thanks for the informative post, Ben!

Do you know anything more about the unlisted Constantine bronze? I see Lech has described it as having its place in RIC VII after RIC Constantinople 15, but the style of the bust looks a bit odd for that series:

I'm not sure I can put my finger on why it looks later. It almost seems like it should be from the 340s, notwithstanding the impossibility:

Evan

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 11:07:25 pm »
Hi Evan,
No I don't know anything more about it, and have never seen it discussed, but I'm pretty sure it is Constantine I, not II.

Based on style it seems to be very late, c.336-337, where it is a good match.

Ben

Offline DzikiZdeb

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 10:17:03 am »
what event sparked Trajan's use of the type (the Dacian conquests?)
No, this reverse is related to the beggining of Parthian War. It belongs to Woytek group 14.3 (spring 113-summer 114) along with classic war motives: Victory, Virtus, Mars and two scenes: Trajan departing Rome for war (Profectio, RIC 263, Woytek 430) and Trajan appoints a new puppet king of Parthia (REX PARTHVS, RIC 263a, Woytek 431).

Offline wolfgang336

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Aut Caesar Aut Nullus
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2021, 03:30:00 pm »
what event sparked Trajan's use of the type (the Dacian conquests?)
No, this reverse is related to the beggining of Parthian War. It belongs to Woytek group 14.3 (spring 113-summer 114) along with classic war motives: Victory, Virtus, Mars and two scenes: Trajan departing Rome for war (Profectio, RIC 263, Woytek 430) and Trajan appoints a new puppet king of Parthia (REX PARTHVS, RIC 263a, Woytek 431).

Interesting. It seems unlikely to me that Constantine would have tried to invoke the Parthian War in the aftermath of his victory over a fellow Roman army (presumably Constantine would not want to alienate Maxentius' surviving soldiers, who perhaps could be incorporated into Constantine's own army).

Evan

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2021, 08:53:13 pm »
Interesting. It seems unlikely to me that Constantine would have tried to invoke the Parthian War in the aftermath of his victory over a fellow Roman army (presumably Constantine would not want to alienate Maxentius' surviving soldiers, who perhaps could be incorporated into Constantine's own army).

The SPQR standards type doesn't seem too objectionable from that POV since the type itself is really just the "OPTIMO PRINCIPI" brag with a nod to the army via the standards design. The Sol with captives type would seem much more offensive, which is maybe why they are so rare excepting at Aquileia where the captive is depicted as a foreigner!

An alternative sequence/dating of types, which on consideration I'm currently favoring, is that the Trier gold SPQR (but obviously not the Italian ones) was issued earlier, maybe c.310, which would have meant that any Trajanic Dacian war association was replaced by this more proximate Constantinian one.

We'd then have Alexander of Carthage copying Constantine, rather than copying Trajan, which really makes more sense. Alexander also copied another of Constantine's Trier gold types, VBIQVE VICTOR, which adds to the intrigue. Were they in cahoots at this point? The non-numismatic evidence for an alliance is very slim - just a "Constantine & Alexander augusti" inscription from Alexander's territory, AFAIK, but the copying of coin types perhaps supports this.

Constantine's post-war use of the SPQR type, now in bronze hence for a wider audience, might be seen as one way of finessing the issue of civil war celebration ... concentrating on the principis (Constantine & colleagues who he also issued it for), rather than the defeated Maxentian troops.

So, why might Constantine have issued the gold Trier SPQR OPTIMO PRINCIPI c.310 ?

- Inviting the comparison to Trajan, to add to his portfolio of manufactured "right to rule" (descended from Claudius, blessed by Apollo) given the unseemly demise of his auctor imperii !
- Echoes of PRINCIPI IVVENTVTIS which dominate his 310 Trier gold reform

The type is a bit of a stretch for Constantine regardless of when we date it, both the "SPQR OPTIMO PRINCIPI" lie and having to discard Trajan's corona civica association on the Ticinum solidus. Given that the senate (the S of SPQR) did award Constantine a title ("maximus augustus") for his defeat of Maxentius, it would seem rather ironic if he'd initiated a claim of being awarded "optimo principi" instead at that time! It perhaps makes more sense if he'd already set the earlier (dubious) precedent for use of the type, then continued it as a convenient post-war feel-good type, not really offensive, and generic enough (given that "spqr optimo principi" wasn't meant to be taken literally) that he could use it for his colleagues too.

Ben

Offline DzikiZdeb

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2021, 12:17:33 pm »

I do not think that the exact circumstances of the minting of the coin with the standards were still legible in the 4th century. Rather, it was recognized that "the reverse showing the banners leading our legions into battle will multiply the glory of our victorious troops, which can now be the banners of any true Roman soldier, no matter what command he has fought so far."

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2021, 09:43:52 pm »
On a related note, I've posted a topic "Constantine and Alexander of Carthage" in the History section.

Ben

Offline -ArtDeco-

• Auxiliary
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2021, 11:20:03 am »
Such breathtaking examples in the photos above, wow.

Offline wolfgang336

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Aut Caesar Aut Nullus
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2021, 05:30:02 pm »
Just wanted to add the following two examples, which I believe can also be considered parallels.

The first is an aureus of Trajan featuring the bust of Sol and described by the seller as:

Trajan AV Aureus. Rome, AD 116-117. IMP CAES NER TRAIAN OPTIM AVG GERM DAC, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust to right / PARTHICO P M TR P P COS VI P P S P Q R, radiate and draped bust of Sol to right. RIC II 329; BMCRE 621-623; Woytek 572f; BN 880-882; Biaggi 499; Calicó 1038. 7.16g, 19mm, 6h.

There is a denarius equivalent as well (e.g. RIC 342).

The second is a well known follis of Constantine featuring the same reverse (RIC VII Trier 890, image borrowed from Wildwinds). Sadly I don't yet have an example of this one; they seem to be difficult to find with strong reverse strikes.

Although emperors following Trajan did use the busts of deities on their reverses, I'm not aware of any other emperor that used Sol on their imperial* issues (or at least not in the same volume as Constantine's issue from Trier).

*Sol apparently turns up on the reverses of some Alexandrian tetradrachms.

Evan

Offline Ginolerhino

• Consul
    • My gallery :
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2021, 03:25:54 am »
(for Wolfgang336) The bust of Sol is not so rare in Roman coinage. Facing busts of Sol are seen on Republican bronze coins as soon as the 2nd Punic war and on denarii c. 55 BC. Seen from profile, like on Trajan's aurei and denarii, it can be seen on denarii of Mark Antony, on aurei of Hadrian, on aurei and denarii of Septimius Severus, on aurei and antoniniani of Postumus, on aurei of Probus (with the legend "Soli Invicto comiti" Constantine later borrowed), even on antoniniani of Carausius.
On Trajan coins this bust comes with no specific legend, just the 2nd part of the emperor's titulature. On Hadrian gold, it comes with the legend ORIENS. For Septimius Severus, Postumus and Carausius the legend is PACATOR ORBIS. It is only on Probus aurei, with a left bust of the emperor as Mars (helmet, shield and spear) on the obverse, that the bust of Sol on the reverse has the legend SOLI INVICTO COMITI AVG. Thus we can say that Constantine did not refer to Trajanic issues but to Probus imperial theology. For Probus, Sol Invictus is the companion of Mars (the emperor as Mars). Maybe one could make some astrological comment: did Probus have Sun conjunct Mars in his natal chart? Such a conjunction is depicted on the obverse of the aureus with the jugate busts of Probus and Sol. The same jugate busts (but Constantine has no helmet, just the shield and the spear) can be seen on a Constantinian gold multiple of 7 aurei at the BNF in Paris.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity