Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Disappearing 40 Asses Post  (Read 2532 times)

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
Disappearing 40 Asses Post
« on: October 19, 2015, 05:44:45 pm »
It's disappointing that the 40 Asses thread has disappeared, despite the various side issues.
I don't know whether it was withdrawn or censured, but either way I hope we get a final report on the Bahrfeldt question at least.
If not I'm going to have to schedule a trip to my local university library and do some photocopying.

Ross G.

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
Re: Disappearing 40 Asses Post
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 07:15:25 pm »
Or maybe somebody can let us have the relevant Bahrfeldt plate - it's Plate II (no. 10, Bahrfeldt 5) apparently.

Ross G.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 04:19:43 am »
I'm guessing, because like so often, it wasn't a discussion but just a bunch of thinly veiled insults. If the coin was reposted, with just the facts, it might go better next time.
Andreas Reich

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 04:40:10 am »
I'm guessing, because like so often, it wasn't a discussion but just a bunch of thinly veiled insults. If the coin was reposted, with just the facts, it might go better next time.

I agree. Despite the good photos and citations of Bahrfeldt the discussion was not actually about the coin, but about various alleged selling practices, comments rumoured to have been made, supposed quality of collections etc. It was an attempt to find the coin guilty by association, a classic "discuss the seller, not the coin" in contravention of Forum rules.

A new discussion that only referred to physical characteristics of the coin, and said what was wrong or right about those characteristics without reference to sales methods, might cast some light.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 10:30:13 am »
I deleted the thread because:  
1) Some of the posts were rude.
2) After reading it I felt like I just wasted my time and I wanted to spare others from that fate.

I would welcome a new discussion of the coin, one that isn't rude and doesn't waste the readers' time.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 11:10:13 am »
Re-establishing the basis for discussion:
- there is a difference at the left end of the thunderbolt of the new 40 asses, in comparison with its supposed die match (the 1999 Triton example)
- the letter R of ROMA is of unusual style. That can't be checked against the 1999 example because that letter is off flan
- there is a style difference between both this coin and the 1999 example, and the few other known examples eg Bahrfeldt. This isn't necessarily a problem for this issue because the other anonymous denomination (60 asses and 20 asses too) comes in at least two distinct styles, one which links to the "anchor" Cr.50 style and one which links to the "cornear" Cr.72 style. It's possible there are also anonymous variants of the "staff" Cr.106 and the "pentagram" Cr.105 issues. So the existence of at least two very different styles is to be expected.
- not addressed by anyone so far is which of the known coins links to which pieces with symbols and whether there are any orphaned style pieces (ie unrelated to anything) which may be a concern
- there are known modern dies for some Mars/Eagle gold. I don't know in what style.

That's where I am.

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 12:20:05 pm »
I note that both the RBW and Berlin 40 asses had  die engravers' compass lines in their reverse fields. They were quite clear (to me). I saw a similar compass line on a 60 asses piece on acsearch.  I did not see any sign of a compass line on the 40 asses piece we were discussing, but I presume die wear, circulation wear and/or harsh cleaning could eliminate traces of compass lines.

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 04:06:33 pm »
Below are the three coins again - the recent coin at the top, RBW/Feirstein in the middle, and Berlin at the bottom. The permalink to Berlin is:
http://ww2.smb.museum/ikmk/object.php?id=18201116
Note the small difference in the right hand wing tip between the coin in question and the other two. The lack of the engraver's circle on the recent coin is also evident, although (maybe) that could be attributed to the lighting.
Note particularly the differences between the Roma legends on the recent coin and on the Berlin coin - not just with the R but also the A.
It is just those letters which are partly missing on the RBW coin.
On the other hand while the left end of the thunderbolt on the the new coin is truncated and modified, there is no problem with it on RBW, where it matches Berlin.

Ross G.

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 10:04:00 am »
I will be frank in saying that at first glance, I didn't notice much different.  If anything, the photo looks like there's been some smoothing in the fields.

After reading the posts above and looking more closely at the examples, I think the current piece is indeed suspect due to the design variations and the clearly recut ROMA.  I think a good argument could be made for the RBW piece being the seed because the major design differences are on the bottom reverse border of the RBW piece that may not have transferred well, requiring rework by the forger. 

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 10:48:14 am »
If it is fake, it is cast, and I do believe there are some casting bubbles visible.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 01:02:17 pm »
I would say that the form of the reverse lettering, especially R, is impossible for a genuine Roman coin. I think it shows a misunderstanding of when Romans allowed slanted uprights such as the M, and when they insisted on vertical uprights. The letter R should always be vertical. In modern writing, M and N have analogous shapes, but for a Roman M was like an upside down W (ie slanted sides) whereas N had vertical uprights. As does R. So that letter alone fails the coin for me. The letter A came in four forms - open such as on the Berlin piece, closed with a V crossbar such as on the new 40 asses, closed with a slanted crossbar, and closed with a horizontal crossbar. All forms occur at this point in history, although the open A as per the Berlin coin was the most common. The style of the Berlin obverse is incidentally akin to the Sicilian RRC 72 types. Regarding the possibility of it being either struck with transfer dies made from the RBW piece, or cast and hand finished, I'm uncertain but Joe thinks it looks cast from its surface. I would say that the adjustments seen to the lettering and thunderbolt as compared with the RBW coin are plausible given these were near the coin's edge. Overall I tend to conclude the new piece is forged. Before we leave the case we must ask whether doubt is also to be cast on the RBW coin, given that those very aspects we find suspicious are off flan. We are dealing with a lower than usual resolution 1999 photo and no one who I personally know has handled the coin since then. So there are limitations on,what we can say. I think we'll have to revert to logic: it's already clear that the new piece might be a product of the,RBW coin. But is it alternately possible that both the new and RBW piece were products of the same workshop sometime during the 1990s? A fatal flaw to that idea is the differing thunderbolts. I can imagine the difference being the result of hand finishing if one piece is made from the other. I cannot imagine that if both were simultaneously made (from a new die or from a third, as yet unknown, genuine coin), there's any plausible reason why or how the thunderbolts may differ. So I tend to think the new piece a likely fake and the old piece likely its genuine host. More views on the surface of the new piece to reinforce Joe's observations would help. Is there a higher resolution image we could see from the listing? I also wonder who bought the 1999 piece: someone on Forum may actually know; evidently were it copied it had to be in the hands of a copyist at some point. But on that last point, it is thought that some good copies were made when the general finds of Mars Eagle gold were made in the 1980s, and this may be one such, perhaps copied from the RBW at that time. Finally, regarding style, it's plausible as I explained already to have different styles in this series (due to different minting locations and die cutters) and the style particularly of the reverse is in itself fine and artistic. But I would be curious to see an impression of a fake made from the modern die in the dead-thread; if the results are as obviously fake as the antiquanova replicas then we should have little fear of being deceived.

I must say it's a relief in this thread to be discussing the coin itself!

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 01:38:31 pm »
The reverse die of the RBW  coin appears identical to the Berlin specimen, even down to the engraver's compass  line that I mentioned previously. lf I understood the Berlin museum's website correctly, their coin was accessioned in the late 19th century. I suppose it's remotely possible that the RBW specimen was based on a 1980's find struck from the same reverse die as the Berlin; but absent any specific, verifiable grounds, I'm inclined to accept the RBW example.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 03:01:47 pm »
It seems there's a consensus building from those who have contributed to this new thread, based on the coin evidence
- the new 40 as piece seems to be a fake: alterations from a known die in the wrong style, possible casting evidence
- the 1999 RBW example seems to be genuine: nothing inherently suspicious and a reverse die match to Berlin

Any disagreements?

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2015, 04:16:01 pm »
Before we leave the case we must ask whether doubt is also to be cast on the RBW coin, given that those very aspects we find suspicious are off flan. We are dealing with a lower than usual resolution 1999 photo and no one who I personally know has handled the coin since then.

As noted in the original stream the image of the RBW coin above is from the Feirstein sale of 2008, NAC 45-5 (blown up a bit).
As I also said in the original stream the obverse border from 12 o'clock to 3 o'clock on the new coin looks as if it might have been added, although of course I can't say definitely that it was.
I also note here that as far as I can see no provenance information was provided for the new coin, at least in the public documentation available on-line.

Ross G.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2015, 05:48:07 pm »
As noted in the original stream the image of the RBW coin above is from the Feirstein sale of 2008, NAC 45-5 (blown up a bit).
As I also said in the original stream the obverse border from 12 o'clock to 3 o'clock on the new coin looks as if it might have been added, although of course I can't say definitely that it was.
I also note here that as far as I can see no provenance information was provided for the new coin, at least in the public documentation available on-line.

Ross G.

Noted on Feierstein,- thanks. It troubles me to work out when the copy might have been made but I wouldn't rule out it being along with other early (1980s-1990s) copies of the original hoard material.

The provenance doesn't bother me. 90% of Mars Eagle gold (plus some bonus forgeries probably including this coin that seem to have padded out volumes) seems to stem from some finds that auction records suggest were in the 1980s. For example the multiple examples in the 1993 Sotheby sale of NFA residue. And other sales. So there's a 90% chance that any random Mars Eagle has no pre-1990 provenance, and a high chance that any given coin has no auction provenance at all given many post-1990 sales were likely private. Hence for these specific types I think the lack of provenance is pretty much irrelevant as a marker of inauthenticity. This was a point I made in the original thread that wasn't well understood. I'm not saying that a lack of provenance is irrelevant for all coins. Just specifically for Mars Eagle gold given the apparent means and times they were marketed.

Noted on the border dots - thanks. There has now been numerous posts giving technical reasons why the recent 40 as piece should be condemned as a fake, and no one disputing. Can we make the call, and move it into the Fakes Reports now?

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2015, 07:24:54 pm »
If you are confident (and 100% is not required), then I think you should submit a report.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline spinkpa

• Consul
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2015, 07:56:20 pm »
But I would be curious to see an impression of a fake made from the modern die in the dead-thread

Mirrored and cropped image of the dies depicted in the original thread below:

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2015, 10:20:40 pm »

But I would be curious to see an impression of a fake made from the modern die in the dead-thread

Mirrored and cropped image of the dies depicted in the original thread below:

These are 60 asses dies of course, not 40 asses, but they are certainly relevant in this thread.
In fact the top coin below, sold at auction in 2011, appears to be struck from those exact dies, allowing for the fact that the obverse dotted border is not fully struck up. (What happened to the engraver's circle on the reverse I have no idea - it disappeared from the 40 asses coin too).
The modern dies appear to have been hubbed from a coin similar to the three bottom (hopefully genuine) examples below, all of which are from the same original pair of dies.
The dotted border seems to have been completely recut on the modern dies, and note the disappearing neck bottom right (although this might be not fully struck up).

Ross G.

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2015, 10:37:38 pm »
Incidentally, for those of you who are wondering, I didn't dig up all these various coins just now - I have been filing Mars/Eagle types for some time with the purpose of determining the weight of the Roman pound (the 60 asses type weighs, we assume, 3 scruples = 1/96 of a pound), and also to investigate die numbers for these types.
Data like this can come in handy in many ways.

Ross G.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2015, 06:18:16 am »
Good pictures Ross. I'd have thought the example struck from the modern fake dies wouldn't pass even a quick forgery check. It's amazing such items get offered. But perhaps there are riskier examples.

I'll upload a fake report for the recently offered 40 asses with the odd letter R once I'm at a real PC - I do almost all my Forum posts from my phone.

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2015, 12:32:48 pm »
Bahrfeld 5 und Taf. II, 10 (stgl.)

I have Bahrfeld in hand but the pictures of the plaster casts are useless !!!
How they where able to say that it is a die match to Bahrfeld 5 und Taf. II, 10 based on this extremely small unsharp picture is a mircale.
I only bought it to get to know where the piece shown in "Bahrfeld 5 und Taf. II, 10" is located to look for better pictures.
The piece is supposed to be in Paris!
So it must be one of these four!

http://gallica.bnf.fr/services/engine/search/sru?operation=searchRetrieve&version=1.2&query=%28gallica%20all%20%2240%20As%22%29

http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b10453415h.r=40%20As

http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b10453413m.r=40%20As

http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b10453416z.r=40%20As

http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b104534142.r=40%20As

It is coin 3 but in a much earlier die state!

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2015, 12:39:23 pm »
Locations of the plate coins.

PS: Bahrfeld worte that specimen 7 is a fake so even before 1923 fakes of this issue existed.

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2015, 06:07:03 pm »
So, to adapt Douglas Adams, that about wraps it up for the new 40 asses coin.
Thanks, it must be said, to Din X who not only raised the problem but also ultimately solved it.

Ross G.

(Actually, the BN is the one place I haven't checked for Mars/Eagles - I have some work to do).

All coins are guaranteed for eternity