Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: 150 coins from the STR Roman Republican coin collection  (Read 1575 times)

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
150 coins from the STR Roman Republican coin collection
« on: January 18, 2014, 04:43:11 pm »
I've photographed and uploaded a selection of 150 coins from the STR collection of Roman Republican coins. This is a landmark collection in formation, and I'm happy to place it alongside the Phillip Davis collection and the Michael Winckless collection on my site. STR's collection is very strong in Didrachm-era Roman coins, in struck bronzes, and especially strong in silver fractions of the early and late Republic, containing for example a couple of unique silver quinarii as well as a good range of Imperatorial silver fractions. Here is the link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ahala_rome/sets/72157639275840676

Enjoy! As samples, I show below five rare or nice silver coins from the STR collection. The full set includes many other interesting coins including a silver coin of Cleopatra with her portrait on both sides (?!?)

Offline Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
Re: 150 coins from the STR Roman Republican coin collection
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 04:54:10 pm »
Wow what wonderful coins, thanks for posting/sharing these. +++
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline OldMoney

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • My Site! www.oldmoney.com.au
    • Walter Holt's Old Money
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 10:43:08 pm »
The full set includes many other interesting coins including a silver coin of Cleopatra with her portrait on both sides (?!?)

Hi Andrew,
I believe the Cleopatra denarius to which you refer is simply a
brockage that has been poorly treated post-mint (damnatio?).

Walter
Coins of Ephesus
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/ephesuscoins
Walter Holt's Old Money - Ancient Coins
https://www.oldmoney.com.au
Sydney, Australia

Offline stlnats

• Caesar
  • Release the puffin!
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 12:39:20 am »
Quote from: Mat on January 18, 2014, 04:54:10 pm

+1, remarkable esp the AEs.

I do rather like the quinarius and As with the prawn.  Its always fun to see the variety of symbols used on the republican coins. 

;D

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 01:30:45 am »
Quote from: Mat on January 18, 2014, 04:54:10 pm

+1, remarkable esp the AEs.

I do rather like the quinarius and As with the prawn.  Its always fun to see the variety of symbols used on the republican coins.  

;D

I'm glad you like the seafood. The prawn quinarius is the only known example, apart from a mythical coin illustrated in a 19th century line drawing. The prawn as is almost as rare. The owl quinarius is the only one known. The tiny Janus head and horse silver is probably a silver as and is one of about 6 known. The bucranium headed silver sestertius is also pretty rare. The Apollo / horse drachm ( as distinct from the didrachm) is perhaps one of two or three known to be in private hands. I already discussed the rarity of the two Lex Papiria E.L.P. Sestertii on Forum a few weeks ago. STR has many really rare silver coins. His bronzes are also pretty nice and the brockages are cool, especially the bashed up Cleopatra. I don't think it was subject to damnatio however, just some rough circulation. As is well known brockages are usually of the obverse, showing once again that Cleo was on the obverse of the Antony / Cleopatra denarius and evidently wore the boots.

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 09:47:22 am »
As is well known brockages are usually of the obverse, showing once again that Cleo was on the obverse of the Antony / Cleopatra denarius and evidently wore the boots.

That is an interesting observation for this coin.  The coin itself looked like my wife left it in the sink garbage disposal which she likes to do with our silverware.   ::)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity