Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Athenian Tetradrachm  (Read 629 times)

Offline Slye

• Legionary
Athenian Tetradrachm
« on: October 22, 2012, 01:08:00 am »
This one has been puzzling me for a week now. Found it at a larger, credible pawn shop mixed in with other ancient coins for sale. The salesperson was offering any of them for $50 each. The others didn't look so bad, but I recognized this one. I took a gamble and picked it up. I was told the owner was a fourth generation collector. They are offering an exchange to me if it is not authentic, so I plan on getting it checked out this week locally. I thought I'd post the pictures to tell me what you think...

(yea, I know, I need to invest in a decent camera...)

I see no seams on the edge, but it only weighs 11.7 grams

Lloyd Taylor

Re: Athenian Tetradrachm
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 02:47:37 am »
At 11.7 gm it is only 67% of the authentic Attic weight standard (which was tightly adhered to by the Athenians).  And looking at that dead smooth edge on a near perfectly circular flan it is clearly modern. Then there is the style of Athena and the crest of the helmet - way off the mark. Not to mention the gawky owl and the awkward modern lettering of the ethnic on the reverse.

No need for better focus to determine that!

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 07:41:20 am »
If you want a second opinion - yes, clearly a modern fake.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 08:40:55 am »
Found it at a larger, credible pawn shop mixed in with other ancient coins for sale. The salesperson was offering any of them for $50 each.

This should answer your question too.  These pawn guys aren't dumb.  It's so so easy to do at least some basic internet research nowadays.  If they thought there was any chance it was a real Athenian tet, they'd follow up.  They wouldn't dump it in a $50 grab box.

Offline Slye

• Legionary
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 10:40:05 pm »
Thank you guys. The shop held up to their end of the bargain and let me exchange it back and will only offer it now as a tourist modern copy if they offer it at all. I used my credit safely for some modern US silver boullion. You only learn through experience I guess, and I did learn about signs of modern copies.

Lloyd Taylor

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 11:20:02 pm »
Glad you got the refund. Learning from the experience and understanding what to look for is a very valuable take away from it. As always there is no substitute for understanding the type of coin you are purchasing and dealing with a reputable seller. Do both and you are not likely to go wrong when it comes to authenticity.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity