Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: P NERVA voting scene on a rep. denarius  (Read 2519 times)

taurisker

P NERVA voting scene on a rep. denarius
« on: May 05, 2010, 06:30:12 am »
Friends of the Republic,

a very interesting voting scene I got with this denarius for my collection ... this coin is one of the most popular republican types because it depicts voting by the Roman people. Citizens voted on issues presented to them by the magistrates in the Comitium, which was located in the Forum in front of the Senate House:

Silver denarius P. Licinius Nerva, Rome mint 113-112 BC, 3.94g 18mm 90°
Obv. helmeted bust of Roma left, holding spear and shield decorated with horseman, crescent above, X in field left, ROMA behind
Rev.  P NERVA ligated, voting scene: citizen casting ballot in the Comitium, one being handed his voting tablet by an attendant, screen in background surmounted by marker with initial "P" representing the voting tribe
Cr. 292/1

Salut
taurisker

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
Re: P NERVA voting scene on a rep. denarius
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 07:17:39 am »
Very pretty coin, unusually clear devices.

This is what Northumberland/Smyth says about the issue:

LICINIA The galeated head of a martial female — Amazonis, sive Heroine — whose shield bears a warrior on horseback, and she carries a spear over the right shoulder. Before the bust is the stamp X, behind it ROMA, and over the helmet is a moon in crescent. A coin of common occurrence, but well- impressed and in excellent condition, weighing 58.6 grains.

R — Publius NERVA. The ponticulus of the Comitia — or narrow passage to and from the court of assembly, — wherein stands a citizen putting his "yea" or "nay" tablet into a cista; and another person is receiving a similar one from the distributor. This coin is merely placed here because it was formerly enrolled among those of the Licinii, until Vaillant passed it over to the gens Silia, where the reader will find the reason upon which the transfer was made. But there are still remaining certain sceptic collectors, who persist in retaining it under the department Licinia, thereby recognising the dicta of numismatic elders, to whom we also thus bend a knee, more, however, in courtesy than from conviction.

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 07:30:07 am »
What a remarkable coin. In every way it is worthy of COTD status. Pretty indeed.

Congrats!

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 02:23:26 pm »
Since the polling stations open in less than 12 hours here in the UK to elect a new government, I couldn't resist showing the other famous 'voting' coin of the Republic.

L. Cassius Longinus 63 BC

Obv: Veiled and diademed head of Vesta left, two-handled cup behind, control letter before.

Rev: Togate citizen standing left, depositing ballot inscribed "V" in voting box, "LONGIN III V" behind.

The tablet marked V was used in Rome to cast a favorable vote on legislation. Taken in conjunction with the head of Vesta on the obverse, this coin may refer to the law of 113 BC which set up the special commission, presided over by L. Cassius Longinus Ravilla, for the trial of three delinquent Vestal Virgins. In 137 BC, L. Cassius Ravilla proposed a method of voting, known as the Lex Cassia Tabellaria. On the coin the letter "V" on the tabella (ballot) stands for V[ti Rogas], a vote in favour of a new law.

Now then, what did I do with my voting tablet!
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline commodus

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 06:51:54 pm »
I will add that the Publius Licinius Nerva denarius is one of only four Republican denarii types depicting Roma facing left. Apart from these (the others are Marcus Beabius Q. f. Tampilius, Lucius Appuleius Saturninus, and Caius Coelius Caldus). In all other depictions of Roma on Republican denarii she faces right. It is significant from that standpoint as well.
See the article by Kenneth L. Friedman entitled "The Helmeted Head of Roma, Facing Left" (The Celator, Nov. 2001, pp. 16-27).
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

taurisker

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 07:49:09 pm »
The reason for this voting scene on the Publius Licinius Nerva denarius dates back to the plebian tribunate of Caius Marius in 119 BC. During his tribunate, Marius pursued a populares line. He passed a law that restricted the interference of the wealthy in elections. The voting scene on the Nerva denarius: on the lex suffrages which was introduced by Marius.

A very nice Cassia, thanks for sharing!

amadis

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 12:09:58 am »
At the risk of being overly pedantic, it isn't quite certain that the voting scene depicted on the reverse is a reference to the lex Maria of 119 BCE. Crawford cautiously suggested that, "The precise motivation behind the choice of type is uncertain" - although he thought it more likely that it was associated with Marius' law than with the lex Licinia of 145 BCE (passed by C. Licinius Crassus tr. pl. 145) which was Mommsen's theory (repeated by Grueber BMCRR 2:275).

Marius' law narrowed the bridges (pontes) that the voters crossed to cast their vote, restricting the ability of the candidates or their agents from exerting undue influence on the voters as they were casting their votes (Cic. De Leg. 3.38). I guess having someone hovering over you as you went up to cast your vote was considered pressure:)

In any case, your coin is very nice - much better than many examples that you see on the market and the Cassius is nice as well.

Good luck to all of our UK friends as you cast your ballots tomorrow!

Amadis

taurisker

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 04:43:15 am »
Amadis, thanks for the enlightning comment!
However, a fascinating issue ... I´m very glad having this coin in my collection.

Cordial Salut
taurisker

All coins are guaranteed for eternity