Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: CII  (Read 959 times)

Emanuele Giulianelli

CII
« on: April 19, 2007, 04:11:16 am »
'm in doubt with this Follis.
It's Constant II

up there is a chi-ro? or what?
could it be SB 1005? Constantinople mint?

Offline Pep

• Magistratus Optima Lege VI
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
Re: CII
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 07:27:07 am »
Hello Emanuele,

It's a "K".  Yes, that's makes it Sear 1005.  In D.O., I can narrow it down to #66 but I don't know if it is 66a, b, c, d, or e since I can't make out the officina.  "a" has an unclear symbol above the :M: though.  One example of a 66b has a cross bar on the :M: but it also has a double exergual line.  Only one :Greek_Gamma: officina example is listed for 66c and it has a star above, but of course more examples with "K" can be out there outside of the D.O. Collection.  66e is actually unknown illegible officinas, not the :Greek_epsilon: officina though :Greek_epsilon: is listed in Sear 1005 for the year this coin was made.  #66 makes it Year 7 (647-648 AD) and I believe I do see the ":G: I" in the exergue.  The officina letter follows it.  The upside-down :A: on the obverse legend ":Greek_epsilon: N T :VO: TO NIK :A:" is also a feature that shows up on several #66s.

Kevin  :)

Emanuele Giulianelli

Re: CII
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 01:02:49 pm »
so it's SEAR 1005, but not completely identifiable...

All coins are guaranteed for eternity