Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: How do I remove Renaissance wax ?  (Read 9009 times)

Gladiateur

How do I remove Renaissance wax ?
« on: September 06, 2006, 01:51:57 pm »
Hello,

I finished treating a case of bronze disease on a Nerva as with false patina (all gone) about two weeks ago.  I followed the instructions to the letter, finished with isopropyl alcohol, baking in the oven and eventual waxing.  Now, about two weeks after the coin was placed in a cardboard holder (adhesive, so the coin is supposed to be air-tight), BD is back again on a few tiny spots.  So I will have to try and treat it again.  How can I get rid of the Renaissance wax ?

Regards,

Pascal

Bill Perry

Re: How do I remove Renaissance wax ?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 02:00:28 pm »
I have used soap and hot water with a toothbrush followed by soaking in olive oil - but it was on a coin I decided after I was all done cleaning - needed some more cleaning. I've noticed no wax left after doing this and its now back to soaking in olive oil.

bruce61813

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 01:36:17 pm »
Hot water and soap will work, or alcohol, just like any other wax. If your coin is thick, more than 2mm, it may require soaking in a soda mix for at least a week with at least two changes of solution. Don't close it up for about 3 weeks. I generally watch the coins in open air for that amount of time,  watching for further out breaks. You can finish, ie wax, the coin, but watch for the reappearence.

Bruce

Offline vrbsroma

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 03:51:40 pm »
Can you post some pics of the BD?  I've always thought one of my Connies had it, but then again it could just be dirt.

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 04:34:02 pm »
Have a look at this thread:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=33311.0

Here's one of mine, before and after an hour's simmer in sodium carbonate / sodium bicarbonate solution:

"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

bruce61813

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 01:53:36 pm »

All coins are guaranteed for eternity