Numism > Reading For the Advanced Ancient Coin Collector

Constantine I Romae Aeternae - EROS

(1/4) > >>

Heliodromus:
I just received this nice Romae Aeternae with the "eros" mintmark, and wanted to show it off!

Obv: CONST-ANTINVS AVG
Rev: ROMAE A-ETERNAE
Exe: R eros T   (aka R "squiggle C" T, per Helvetica)

Minted by Constantine I in Rome c. 320

The basic ROMAE AETERNAE type was first issued in 318-319 during the Rome P-R (Populi Romani?) in-field control mark, at the same time as SAECVLI FELICITAS and PAX PERPETVA, and seems to belong together with that group in terms of the rather generic feel-good legend probably chosen to reassure the public about the refound stability after the civil war between Constantine and Licinius which had occured c. 316 and been followed by the acclamation of the new Caesars Crispus, Constantine II and Licinius II in 317. The types would then be followed by BEATA TRANQVILLITAS echoing the same theme.

The ROMAE AETERNAE does serve the double purpose of also commemorating Constantine's 15th anniversary (quindecennalia) via the XV inscribed on the shield being held by Roma, and this occasion may perhaps have been the impetus for issuing these types celebrating the endless, happy and peaceful times.

The real interest of this coin is the famous "eros" mintmark - an odd occurence of what appears to be a greek script control mark appearing on a Roman coin (although perhaps not so odd when you consider that greek officina numbering was also in use). The eros mintmark, and lack of P-R in field, dates this particular coin to c. 320, the beginning of the VOT XX series, with the ROMAE AETERNAE type having outlived the other types that were issued alongside it.

I've put together the graphic below to illustrate the common interpretation of this control mark.

The initial ligature/squiggle is believed to be the two greek letters epsilon and rho, followed by an upstroke which isn't a letter in of itself, but rather transforms the entire ligature into the letter omega. The "C" following the ligature is the greek letter sigma. The entire mark therefore reads epsilon rho omega sigma spelling eros (note greek e-r-o-s phonetic spelling).

Now we might stop there and just consider it as eros (used for whatever unknown reason), or you can interpret it further and note that eros (love) in latin is "amor", and that amor spelt backwards is roma - Rome! Eros thus becomes a secret word for Rome.

Ben

mauseus:
Hi,

Not a bad theory at all. In Rome, opposite the colloseum there is the temple of Roma and it backs directly on to the temple of Venus and again the ROMA - AMOR theory has been postulated for their juxtaposition.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/lateromancoinage/temples.html
Regards,
Mauseus

Heliodromus:
Thanks, Kevin!

Following up on Mauseus's connection to the temple(s) of Venus & Roma, I've discovered that the temple, originally built by Hadrian was specifically dedicated to Romae Aeternae, and for Venus Felix, the goddess of love (vs one of Venus's other egos). This does seem to confirm not only the eros-roma association, but also the specific connection with Romae Aeternae. It also appears therefore that this type pays homage to (at least) one of the city's pagan deities rather than merely being a well wish for the city/empire.

Knowing that this was a combined temple seems also to clarify the meaning of Maxentius's Conserv(atores) Vrb Svae... "Conserving THEIR city" apparently referring to Venus & Roma (Maxentius repaired & partly rebuilt the temple as part of his building program, and the type depicts Roma hence implicitly referring to the joint temple), although it's not clear who's doing the conserving - Maxentius or Venus & Roma.

Ben

curtislclay:
       Surely CONSERVATORES VRBIS SVAE refers to the EMPERORS, Maxentius, Constantine, and Maximian, not the presumed divine occupiers of the temple depicted, as "Preservers of Their City"?
       I am not convinced by the EPWC = AMOR = Roma interpretation of this mintmark, and the supposed connection with the temple of Roma and Venus.  I am not dismissing it either, but before accepting it as probable I would need more evidence that this play on words was current in ancient Rome and that such a pun was not out of place in a mintmark.

Rugser:
In his program of the jobs of urbanistic restructuring Maxentius also built that that is known today as Basilica of Maxentius. 
From this Basilica, built adjoining to the temple in Rome, it was possible to see the pediment of the temple of Rome and the statue of Rome as we see  to us on the coins. 
ser

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version