Numism > Reading For the Advanced Ancient Coin Collector

Constantine I Perpetva Virtvs

(1/4) > >>

Heliodromus:
Not your everyday Constantine... I was quite pleased to just aquire this one!

Obv: CONSTANTINVS NOB CAES
Rev: PERPETVA VIRTVS
Exe: PT

RIC VI Ticinum 88, rated Common(!).

This special type (one of a few based on the theme of Virtvs) was minted in Ticinum in 307 by Maxentius, only for Constantine, on the occasion of recognising and welcoming Constantine into the family by way of having married his sister Fausta - having been fixed up by their father Maximianus for political gain.  In retrospect Constantine would prove to be a rather unsatisfactory brother-in-law, as within 5 years he would be entering Rome with Maxentius's severed head on a spear, having already killed (or forced to suicide) his treacherous father-in-law a couple of years earlier, and would go on to complete the hatrick by steaming his wife Fausta to death in an overheated bath.

Ben

Varangian:
Now THAT is the kinda story every coin needs!

Nice find, and a very attractive coin!

kklinejr:
Truly this is a piece that tells a tale.  Nice acquisition!

Ken

curtislclay:
       According to Banduri writing in 1718, this is the only appearance of the legend PERPETVA VIRTVS on Roman coins, and the type is "among the rarer ones", which I take to mean not just rare, but very rare.  Banduri cites one spec. with PT, three with ST, and one with TT.
       However, the facts related by Ben derive from the ancient historians and orators, not from the coin itself--no word there of the marriage to Fausta, the alliance with Maximian, nor of course of the eventual fates of the parties involved!
       What we learn from the coin itself is that Maxentius struck coins for Constantine after their alliance, and that the mint of Ticinum lay within Maxentius' territory at the time.  Maybe something interesting could also be said about the types he used on his coins for Constantine.
       I think Maxentius was quite diligent in striking coins for Constantine at all of his mints.  Why is it, I wonder, that Constantine didn't return the favor?  Coins of Maxentius struck at Constantine's mints, Trier only I believe, are great rarities.

seth:
fausta wasnt steamed to death in an overheated bath. she was strangled in her thermae.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version