Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Identifying help please- Roman or Greek, possibly copper  (Read 415 times)

thesimonfile

Identifying help please- Roman or Greek, possibly copper
« on: January 21, 2015, 11:11:04 am »
I've had this coin for decades and have no idea of its provenance. I used to collect US coins as a child but have no experience with ancient coins.
I've attached photos below. The obverse has a bearded man with a wreath in profile and text that seems to read "1050", which seems unlikely given history :) but im realizing could also be letters, something akin to "^OSO", with the "^" being an upside down V or reversed, tipped over 7.
I'm looking at the symbols above and none are a perfect fit, but perhaps " :Greek_Lambda: :Greek_Theta: :Greek_Stigma: :Greek_Omicron:"?
The reverse has what i think is an ox, looking back over it's shoulder.
The 3rd picture is for scale and thickness.
Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: Identifying help please- Roman or Greek, possibly copper
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 11:12:26 am »
Sorry, but this is not a real ancient coin.  Instead, it is a fake coin usually sold to tourists.

thesimonfile

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 11:15:42 am »
Thanks. i had a sinking suspicion that might be the case. Can i ask how you know for sure? Is it a diagnosis by elimination (you know all the various elements of ancient coins etc) or is there some sign on this that tells you it's fake instantly?

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 11:51:17 am »
Just the look, really.  With a little experience with actual ancient coins such forgeries become immediately obvious.

If you're interested, Joe Sermarini, the site owner, has thousands of real ancient coins for sale, in nearly all price ranges:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 12:38:33 pm »
Here's a similar 'coin' with a different reverse:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?pos=-10524

Just for your information, whether it is published or not is insignificant, there is not the slightest doubt that this is a modern tourist fake. It's the same with everything that can be collected. It takes a while to spot even the most obvious fakes and this is one of those.
Andreas Reich

All coins are guaranteed for eternity