Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Vespasian or Titus quadrans - Minerva  (Read 416 times)

Offline vs1969

• Consul
Vespasian or Titus quadrans - Minerva
« on: May 11, 2014, 06:05:30 am »
I got this coin as a quadrans of Vespasian (RIC II 1020), it seems to me, however, that it can also be the one of Titus (RIC II 254) as the distinguishing part of the obverse legend is missing (IMP VESP AVG COS VIII vs. IMP T VESP AVG COS VIII).

Could there be any other distinguishing features except this missing part of the legend? Or we cannot tell one alternative from the other in this case?

Offline FlaviusDomitianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery:
Re: Vespasian or Titus quadrans - Minerva
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 06:18:11 am »
Considering the position of the readable letters, I'd say that it's most likely Titus than Vespasian.

Alberto

Offline vs1969

• Consul
Re: Vespasian or Titus quadrans - Minerva
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 03:45:17 pm »
Thanks for your insight. After the detailed look at the online sources, I have found one coin that is close enough (could even be a die match but not 100% sure) and it is of Titus.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity