Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Renaissance Virginia Negri Medal - Any Other Information?  (Read 1205 times)

Offline Iosephus

• Praetorian
Renaissance Virginia Negri Medal - Any Other Information?
« on: August 10, 2013, 01:38:05 pm »
This is a bit later than medieval, but I figured someone knowledgeable here might have something they could add.

I recently acquired this, apparently unique, cast medal of Virginia Negri (Bronze, 68 mm Ø) :

Obverse: Bust of Virginia Negri facing right, wearing religious garb; anepigraphic.

Reverse: Four line incised inscription, VIRGINEA DE NIGRIS DICTA. A. P. A. ÆTA. AN. XLVII. II. NÕN AP. MDLV. (Virginia Negri, Called Angela Paola Antonia, Aged 47 Years, 2nd Day of the Nones of April 1555).

Virginia Negri, born c. 1508, was a nun and writer who also had mystic visions. She took the name Angela Paola Antonia upon entering a convent in Milan. Well known throughout the Veneto for her work with the ill and the poor, contemporary opinion was divided over whether she was saintly or a fraud. This medal commemorates her death on April 4, 1555.

In Attwood's "Italian Medals", he lists uniface medals of the same subject in the British Museum with the bust facing left and inscription around the bust (and those medals are also of different fabric than this piece).  Regarding the BM medals, Attwood writes "... evidently commissioned by one of her followers, as was another medal of the same subject [cf. 1993 Sotheby's sale of this piece] ...", so the assumption seems to be that those medals and this piece are contemporary to the time (c. 1555).

Information from the sources I have seems scarce, but I was wondering if anybody here might know something else, either regarding the subject or the medal itself.  Thanks!
Joe

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
Re: Renaissance Virginia Negri Medal - Any Other Information?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 02:02:47 pm »
  Only information I can find

Italy, Virginia Negri (c. 1508-1555, nun and writer), bronze memorial medal, 1555, Venetian school, bust right wearing gown and hood, with knotted rope over her shoulders, rev., incised in four lines, virginea de nigris dicta a p a aeta an xlvii ii non ap mdlv, 68.8mm (cf. Attwood 427 with mention of this piece), a very fine contemporary cast and apparently unique

Ex Sotheby's, London, 7 October 1993, lot 89. The initials A P A refer to the names she took on joining a convent in Milan – Angela Paola Antonia. Uniface medals with her bust facing left are known (Attwood 427; Voltolina 489; Morgenroth 147) but the present medal appears to be the only extant example.

I believe this is the same medal although it now has a couple of extra marks which this one doesn't but if it is the same you have some provenance to it which is always nice to have.

Offline Iosephus

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 02:37:56 pm »
Yup, that's the same medal (you've quoted the description from the auction I purchased it from).  I don't think there's any additional marks, just different lighting.  Thanks for looking!
Joe

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 02:40:56 pm »

Beautiful piece yes it could easily be different lighting    +++

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 02:59:41 pm »

It seems it was sold at a later auction
  Morton & Eden Ltd      Auction 64      5 - 6 June 2013
 Online bidding closed

Offline Iosephus

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 03:23:21 pm »
Yup, that's where I purchased it from.
Joe

All coins are guaranteed for eternity