Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: coin cabinets  (Read 12656 times)

milanman

coin cabinets
« on: February 18, 2012, 11:43:34 am »

Hello everyone! I am looking into buying a mahogany coin cabinet and was wondering what peoples thoughts are on this. For people who already have one please post pictures of it and tell me where you got it. Your help is much appreciated.

Regards,Milan

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: coin cabinets
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 12:29:49 pm »
Read here for the beginning:

Discussion topic 53466
Discussion topic 67903

Pekka K

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 01:03:04 pm »
Approximate budget ?

This one had an estimate of 250 pounds.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 01:35:30 pm »
Buy an old cabinet with reasonably deep trays - such as that pictured above - or not at all.

The modern cut-price cabinets such as made by one English firm
- are not made from aged Mahogany and the trays WARP (bend, crack) if not in the right atmosphere
- trays don't slide in and out easily
- have wool-based felt pads that DESTROY coins from below
- are not deep enough for most ancient coins - for example bronzes or thick silver - so scratch the coins from above

So I strongly recommend NOT to buy a new-build mahogany cabinet

I do recommend Abafil trays (the so called luxury trays) which is what I now use. Very expensive but very attractive and with soft material above and below the coins and deep yielding pockets for each coin

milanman

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 02:58:53 pm »
My approx budget is between 100-250 dollars, I hope its enough i have read that coin cabinets are very expensive.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 03:37:44 pm »
If that is your budget then you are better not buying a mahogany cabinet - you would only get the lowest quality with the problems I summarised. Go for some form of modern tray system instead. Or start investing bit by bit in Abafil.

milanman

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 03:49:31 pm »
How much does your average mahogany cabinet cost?

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 04:11:53 pm »
Craig, makes mahogany cabinets hee in the US. He is also a FORVM member.  Here is his website and prices are on it.

I have heard nothing but good things about his cabinets, but bow to Andrews knowledge. Maybe Craig will chime in.

cabinetsbycraig.net/

milanman

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 04:18:43 pm »
thank you

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 04:46:35 pm »

Andrew, could you explain that comment?  Also, how can you determine what type of felt is non-destructive to coins?

Thanks,
              Nemo

Offline wileyc

• Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 05:02:33 pm »
I have a cabinet by Craig and am very pleased, room for 380 coins, which he will custom design size for. Mine are deep enough for Byzantine trachys and a number of weights that I collect. I keep it in a low humidity room and have no problem with it warping. I will post a picture of it

Discussion topic 67903

here is a previous conversation with pictures of his work

cw

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2012, 05:31:43 pm »

Andrew, could you explain that comment?  Also, how can you determine what type of felt is non-destructive to coins?

Thanks,
              Nemo

Yes.

There is an excellent book on coin conservation; Coins in Collections, Care and Use, by Jonathan Jarrett at the Fitzwilliam museum which explains and shows with examples the danger of using wool based felt (i.e. natural wool felt), showing examples of uncirculated coins worn down to GVF+ after a few years in trays with felt bottoms, and each time the tray is pulled out or replaced, the coins' surface is abraded.

A summary of the book is here (not showing the felt example that is in the main book): https://tinyurl.com/umym388

Coins should also not in theory be placed on top of a potentially abrasive card or paper ticket.

The recommended surface to place coins on is a transparent hard acrylic sheet in the cabinet tray. The ticket can be placed below the acrylic sheet. Such sheets are perfectly smooth.

Some artificial fabrics and also silk-felt are also OK. Much softer. The Abafil trays seem to use an artificial felt that mimics silk felt. Wool felt seems to be used in many traditional coin cabinets. You would be appalled the extent to which it ruins the coins.

If you can see the strands of fabric with the naked eye, it is probably wool based felt, and dangerous.

milanman

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 05:34:50 pm »
wow! his work is really really good! Its really expensive though.

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2012, 06:09:48 pm »
wow! his work is really really good! Its really expensive though.

Mahogany is expensive. All mahogany cabinets are expensive. Heck cheap cabinets are expensive. I sold a cheap cabinet for $125.00. Other examples like mine sold for $175.00. Those are just cheap pine ones not good for coins in reality.

That is why I never got a cabinet. I settled for a less expensive, yet cabinet like alternative in a gem jar case. I cut the foam down so the coins don't smash and they are good to go and nicely displayed.

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2012, 06:10:19 pm »
I just came across this conversation, and since RENEGADE320 mentioned my name, I thought I'd chime in.....

First rule on buying a cabinet, if you decide to go that route, is to buy one made from mahogany.  For at least two centuries, mahogany has been the wood of choice.  There are lots of cabinets and trays that state "mahogany finish".  But that usually means that they have been stained a mahogany color.  More than likely the wood used in their constructions is not mahogany, but most likely a cheaper species.  And yes, mahogany is expensive.

And while there are a few other types of wood that are also relatively safe for storing coins (e.g., cherry, walnut and rosewood), these are also relatively expensive and except perhaps for cherry, would not lend themselve to staining a mahogany color.

As for some other comments in this thread:

- are not made from aged Mahogany and the trays WARP (bend, crack) if not in the right atmosphere
Most of the old growth trees are long gone.  Much of the mahogany currently sold is plantation grown and is kiln dried to around 6-8% moisture, so it should be pretty stable. 

- trays don't slide in and out easily
This would be more of a manufacturing issue, in my opinion.

Personally I use a synthetic felt.  I was a bit leary about using a wool felt because of the organic properties of wool.  I'm still searching for a source for satin or velet discs to use.  If I ever find one, I may switch.  Andrew's idea about using an acrylic disk between the felt and the coin is interesting.  But the coin will slide more easily on top of the smooth plastic than it would on felt, satin, or any other similar surface.  And you also have to be sure that the platic/acrylic is inert and won't harm the coins' surfaces.  Given enough time, ANY surface a coin rest on can impart rubbing if the coin is constantly jostled.  I've never understood the argument about this, as personally, I don't carry my cabinet around.  It sits on a shelf, and when I do remove a tray, I do it CAREFULLY.  What some people do with theirs to cause them to worry about the coins sliding around escapes me.

- are not deep enough for most ancient coins - for example bronzes or thick silver - so scratch the coins from above
Also a manufacturing issue.  Since most modern coins are only millimeter or two thick, most trays are made to accommodate them.  My cabinets come with trays that are 1/2" (12 mm) thick.  The recesses are 1/4" (6 mm) deep....more than enough for most ancients.  I made trays that are a full 3/4" (19 mm) with recesses 1/2" (12 mm) deep for one customer who collected a specific type or archaic silver that often comes 10 mm thick.

Displaying your coins in a cabinet is more about DISPLAYING them, than storing them.  Most of my "main line" collection resides in a safe deposit box at my bank....an unfortunate reality in today's world.  But I do have some items that I keep in my cabinet just for the sake of having the coins available to look at and handle whenever I wish.  So it largely comes down to a matter of personal taste.

Craig

CabinetsByCraig.net

milanman

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2012, 06:36:24 pm »
Wow Craig, i am very convinced to buy one of your cabinets after reading that! However they are very expensive and I cannot afford the expense. Is there perhaps a smaller cabinet made of mahogany that would be less expensive?

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2012, 06:57:32 pm »
PM sent......

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2012, 07:37:43 pm »
PM sent......

:) customize, customize, customize...

Offline Nemonater