Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Minoan coins?  (Read 5227 times)

Offline Equity

• Consul
Minoan coins?
« on: November 29, 2011, 02:07:01 am »
Hello all,

Forgive my ignorance (novice here), but is there such a thing as a Minoan coin? The only references I can find from casual web searches are that they traded with Lydia for coins, but no doubt I'm missing something. Would be fascinating to see what sort of art they came up with, given the examples at Knossos/Crete.
Thanks!
Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile.

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Minoan coins?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 05:02:13 am »

NO.

The first coins, and people argue what constitutes a coin and the dating , but 600BC +/- 50 years would be OK. The Minoans were on the wane when Thera exploded c 1200 BC and the Mycinaeans sort of took over. Thus a considerable gap of at least 500 years.

The memory and site of Knossos always remained and the site was built many times by many peoples  and the labyrinth put on some coins including the imitation of Athenian New Styles
Timeo Danaos afferentem coronas

Offline Equity

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 12:03:32 am »
Thanks. And I just read that the ancient Egyptians had a form of value denomination based on weights (http://www.digitalegypt.ucl.ac.uk/weights/weight.html). Fascinating.
Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile.

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 03:06:54 am »
Weights are weights, but only coins are minted.  Pat L.

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 03:09:36 am »
YES,for the very ancient egyptians, but the less ancient Egyptians around the time probably of the Persian invasions. Coined money was introduced from the conquerors. proabably during the partial reigns when the country had long  re-divided.
There were Egyptian produced Mass Classic " Athenian" tetradrachms dating to approx 450-404 BC on the Athenian dates.
When they started producing their own I don't know but obviously Ptolemy 1 started minting his own when he took Egypt as his portion of Alexanders' territory.
Timeo Danaos afferentem coronas

medoraman

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 12:18:41 am »
YES,for the very ancient egyptians, but the less ancient Egyptians around the time probably of the Persian invasions. Coined money was introduced from the conquerors. proabably during the partial reigns when the country had long  re-divided.
There were Egyptian produced Mass Classic " Athenian" tetradrachms dating to approx 450-404 BC on the Athenian dates.
When they started producing their own I don't know but obviously Ptolemy 1 started minting his own when he took Egypt as his portion of Alexanders' territory.

I thought the last pharoah had a denomination minted in gold. It was the very last pharaoh, but he started the coinage process before he was defeated by the Persians, then later they being overrun by Alexander. I believe Sear Greek listed this coin.

Offline Risto K

• Praetorian

All coins are guaranteed for eternity