Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ID need (1)  (Read 1784 times)

Offline Dean B2

• Consul
  • Histria ... in vino veritas.
ID need (1)
« on: October 27, 2010, 04:24:46 pm »
Any ID please.
Thx

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: ID need (1)
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 05:08:16 pm »

Severus Alexander / Serapis standing left, ...DIS NEWK, almost certainly Nicomedia (Bithynia, Asia Minor), where the same reverse type with a DIS NEWK legend was common, although Isegrim does not record this reverse type for Sev. Alexander in particular.
Temper thy haste with sloth -- Taverner / Erasmus.

Offline Dean B2

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 05:06:41 pm »

Severus Alexander / Serapis standing left, ...DIS NEWK, almost certainly Nicomedia (Bithynia, Asia Minor), where the same reverse type with a DIS NEWK legend was common, although Isegrim does not record this reverse type for Sev. Alexander in particular.

Thx for help.Where can I search about this reverse type?
Regards

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 05:10:40 pm »

http://isegrim.dasr.de/isegrim/anmelden.html
"anonymous,english"
"Search Asia Minor"
search-string rt:sarapis rt:man standing hl rs:.*dis newk.*

Offline newbeonecoinobe

• Consul
  • This a great forum
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 07:00:31 pm »
Isn't Serapis actually siting on this coin?

Pete

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 07:26:27 pm »

It looks to be the normal/typical stance for Serapis the chlamys around his waist gives the appearance of "sitting" - short leg effect

c.rhodes

Offline newbeonecoinobe

• Consul
  • This a great forum
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 12:17:58 am »
Thanks Charlie, what was confusing me was the lower left part of the picture looked like two chair legs offset in the background.

Pete

Offline Dean B2

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 05:27:01 pm »

http://isegrim.dasr.de/isegrim/anmelden.html
"anonymous,english"
"Search Asia Minor"
search-string rt:sarapis rt:man standing hl rs:.*dis newk.*

I still can't find any ID on this Serapis version.One more try with larger photo ... I will be gratefull for any help?

Offline Dean B2

• Consul
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 09:24:46 am »
I admit that I got to the wall and I do not know where and what to look more about this coin.
I would be grateful for information about the value taking into account the reverse type and condition of the coin???
Thx.Regards

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 09:49:18 am »
Maybe $20-$40 if people don't notice the bronze disease though it could be much less if you sold it on Ebay.
Andreas Reich

Offline Dean B2

• Consul
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 10:48:40 am »
Maybe $20-$40 if people don't notice the bronze disease though it could be much less if you sold it on Ebay.

:'(
Thx

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 11:14:44 am »
Rare does not equal valueable, especially for anything that's not Roman Imperial.  Condition matters most of all but even in absolutely perfect condition this coin could never be a $1000+ coin, whereas a nice sestertius that's nicely written up and presented can go for many thousands, sometimes even millions.
Andreas Reich

Offline Dean B2

• Consul
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 11:24:57 am »
Rare does not equal valueable, especially for anything that's not Roman Imperial.  Condition matters most of all but even in absolutely perfect condition this coin could never be a $1000+ coin, whereas a nice sestertius that's nicely written up and presented can go for many thousands, sometimes even millions.

Yes, I am familiar with the parameters that determine the value of coins when it comes to the nominal value and condition.Yet I hoped something a bit higher.
Thx for your time and help.
Regards

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2010, 11:36:09 am »

Like this one. 2000000 Swiss Francs. Not particularly rare but in fine condition.

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2010, 11:39:55 am »

Like this one. 2000000 Swiss Francs. Not particularly rare but in fine condition.

As usual forgot the pic   :-[

Offline driekus

• Consul
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2010, 01:51:11 pm »

As usual forgot the pic   :-[

It is an amazing coin no doubt, but 2 million dollars is a little steep.

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2010, 03:44:51 pm »

Dean, it sounds now as if what you primarily wanted was a kind of conjectural appraisal for your coin, not a bad thing to want, but less useful than learning to gauge for yourself what makes some coins more valuable than others.  As I noted at first, your own coin's reverse type is unlisted for Sev. Alexander but is tolerably common for other rulers; if you want to gauge what your coin's worth, you should probably compare it to other small semi-scarce Roman provincials in more or less similar condition.  The point then wouldn't be to do more research on this particular Sev. Al. reverse -- we've researched it already -- but to see what small, semi-scarce Roman provincials habitually bring. If you went to the Nicomedia page on Wildwinds

http://wildwinds.com/coins/greece/bithynia/nicomedia/t.html

you would locate an entry for a Maximus Serapis in quite similar condition to yours; if you then did the Isegrim search from Reply #3, you would see that the Maximus issue is also quite rare, only one specimen listed in Isegrim, and a right-facing specimen at that.  But the specimen on Wildwinds was bought for just $8, not that it couldn't bring more than that, but that it clearly wasn't a treasure.  So what your coin might reasonably bring is somewhere between $8 and $40.

Offline Dean B2

• Consul
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2010, 10:05:44 am »

Dean, it sounds now as if what you primarily wanted was a kind of conjectural appraisal for your coin, not a bad thing to want, but less useful than learning to gauge for yourself what makes some coins more valuable than others.

I'm sorry if I left that impression, because to me money is not the first place when it comes to antique coins.
Although I am a trader I have to admit that every antique item to me in the first place causes the passion and pleasure, perhaps due to the fact that I was born in a place full of history traces back to ancient times.
In any case, I am grateful for your help.

Offline commodus

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2010, 12:35:36 pm »
It is an amazing coin no doubt, but 2 million dollars is a little steep.

Just a little ;)
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity