Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Faustina Junior Uraeus  (Read 1156 times)

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
Faustina Junior Uraeus
« on: November 13, 2009, 05:56:29 pm »
This little coin has some lovely dark green and reddish-brown tones in its patina.  Patchy is usually ugly, but not in this case.  It's an Alexandrian obol (by Milne) or hemiobol (by Sear) of Faustina Junior, 17 x 18mm, 3.74g.  The reverse shows the Uraeus serpent with disk and horns headdress.

I can't find this in Milne.  Does anyone have a reference for it?  I would really like to know whether the regnal year LIB is for Antoninus Pius or Marcus Aurelius.

Notice that the letter A is missing from the second word of the obverse legend, ΦAYC(TINA) CЄBCTH• .

Bill
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline Steve Minnoch

• Tribunus Plebis 2007
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Faustina Junior Uraeus
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 06:18:18 pm »

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 06:46:48 pm »
Thanks, Steve, that's the coin right enough.
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline iwaniw

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 09:24:17 am »
Moonmoth:

Of course, the coin was issued under Pius, as Steve illustrated. There are no obols struck under Aurelius.

Faustina II (under Pius) (years 11 to 24)
Faustina II (under Aurelius) (years 2 to 10 -- bronze likely only to year 8, all year 10 coins could be partial dates for Pius). Faustina II's portrait usually a bit larger than under Pius and younger looking under Aurelius , even though she is actually older.

I have no clue where Sear gets his bronze denomination classifications from.

Iwaniw

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 12:47:45 pm »
Thanks for the details.  So you would go with Milne's version of the denominations, then?  Lighter coins having higher value.

Bill

Offline iwaniw

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 10:09:16 am »
Moonmoth

I agree with Milne's classification down to the obol size. There is still some debate about what the denomination(s) below the obol is (are).

Here's a table of the different weights. (standard deviation); [sample size]
                           weights in grams

Domitian               Hadrian

drachm                23.79  [32]          24.10   (2.34)   [34]

hemidrachm          12.29  [22]          13.06   (1.37)   [17]

diobol                    8.24  [100]         8.68    (1.02)   [31]

obol                       4.07  [77]           4.90   (0.51)   [72]

half-obol                 1.88  [15]           2.08   (0.36)   [29]

dichalkon                1.17   [27]           1.02   (0.15)   [9]

The weight of the Hadrian obol seems a bit high. The weights for the Hadrian "half-obol"  were taken from the Nome issues which are generally called "dichalkons"

For some denominations, when the weights are between the denominations, one has to take the coin size into account.

Iwaniw

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 04:24:35 pm »
Thanks - I'll save that table for reference!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity