Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Gold Owl Staters  (Read 1356 times)

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
Gold Owl Staters
« on: November 06, 2008, 05:52:57 am »
Was looking through an on-line auction catalog and saw two coins that made my jaw drop.  Hadn't seen or heard of this type before.  I'm sure many of you have, but thought they were beautiful and certainly have a fascinating origin.  Thought I'd post the pics and auction descriptions below.  Auction Descriptions translated from French to English via Babelfish.  Not the best translation, but you can get the flavor.

And if anyone has about 525,000 I could borrow, I'd be most appreciative.....

First coin pictured below:

Athens. Gold Statère, 407/406 av. J. - C, 8.59g. Helmeted head of Athéna on the right, the decorated helmet sheets of olive-tree/ Owl upright on the right, the head of face, on an olive branch; in top on the left an olive branch and a crescent of the moon. Svoronos -; Jameson 2495 (this specimen); E.S.G. Robinson, Problems Nap in the Later Fifth Century Coinage off Athens, YEARS MN IX, 1960, pl. I, 9 (this specimen). The most beautiful known specimen and one of the Greek currencies most important in the world. Tiny érafl ures of surface, if not Superb exemplary. 400 ' 000. -

Specimen coming from the collection Jameson 2945 and the Guermantes collection, sale Leu 86 (2003), 380. The Peloponnesian War opposes from 431 to 404 the two principal Greek cities, Athens the democrat and Sparte the oligarch. Athens, with the head of the League of Délos, dominates over sea thanks to a fl otte considered invulnerable whereas Sparte, Master of the League of the Peloponnese, takes a lead in ground with its invisible hoplites. Nearly thirty years are necessary so that this confl it, which implies liking or of force the majority of the Greek cities, takes fi N. Linked, these last had overcome Persians with Foundation into 479; seventy-five years later, they see this same Greek model crumbling into 404, submerged by its own dissensions. Struck into 407/406, little time before the Athenian defeat, our gold statère fully illustrates the anguish of the first democracy of the History. The Aristophane playwright lives in Athens at that time and in Frogs that pays to us of which he is the witness: famished by the Spartans and private of its famous money mines of Laurion, Athens is forced to use the least piece of noble metal present on its territory. Seven of the eight statues of Nike (Victoire) placed on the Acropolis are stripped their plates dédicatoires out of gold. Each one weighs two talents, that is to say fifty two kilogrammes of gold fi N. Athens can thus produce the equivalent of 42.000 gold statères. To see on this subject: W. Thompson, The Golden delicious Nikai and the Coinage off Athens, NC 1970, p 1-7. Only four specimens of this exceptional currency reached us. Three are preserved in collections public in Harvard, London and Oxford. Only one, certainly most beautiful, remains accessible. He points out the tragedy destiny of a city which marked forever the thought of the Man and who remains, many centuries later, a model.

Second Coin pictured below:

Athens. Gold Statère, towards 296-295 av. J. - C., 8,60g. Helmeted head of Athéna on the right, the helmet decorated sheets of olive-tree/ Owl upright on the right, the head of face; in top on the left one olive branch and a crescent of the moon; in the right field, a bakchos. Svoronos pl.21, 17 (this specimen); Jameson 1193 (this specimen). Very rare. Infi me double keying. Very beautiful specimen of this exceptional currency. 125 ' 000. -

Specimen coming from the collection “Well known foreign Statesman” (Balmanno), sale Sotheby' S 1898,238, H. Osborne O' Hagan, sale Sotheby' S Sotheby' S, 4-9/05/1908, 428 and of the collection Jameson 1193. The gold which was used to strike this series comes partly from that recovering the statues of the Acropolis. Among those fi gurait famous Athéna Parthénos. Lacharès, which had been initially made elect strategist in Athens, then had proclaimed tyrant, had plundered the treasures of the Acropolis to pay its mercenaries. This plundering is reported as well by Pausanias (I, XXV, 7), as share Athénée (IX, 405 S), Plutarque (De Iside and Osiride (LXXI) and a papyrus of Oxyrynchte (XVII, 2082). It is also told that Lacharès, having to flee in front of the troops of Démétrius Poliorcète, would have spread these currencies behind him to distract its prosecutors.

Offline esnible

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • gorgon coins
Re: Gold Owl Staters
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 07:41:29 am »
Yeah, those are pretty cool!  On another discussion web site Curtis Clay pointed out that there are only four known specimens of the first example, and this is the only one in private hands.  I was aware that there had been these gold staters, but not that there were two issues so I put my foot in my mouth by suggesting that since there were two in the auction there must be more than one in private hands!

Because these are different issues no type collection of Athenian coins can be complete without both of these!

I wonder how numismatists figured out there was a second series, though.  Style?

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
Re: Gold Owl Staters
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 09:04:51 am »
I'd guess it is style.  If you read the translated descriptions of the coins it looks like the gold staters were minted during two distinct periods. 

I also thought it was interesting that, with respect to the first series, the amount of gold on the statues would be sufficient to mint 42,000 staters.  Wonder how many were actually minted?

All coins are guaranteed for eternity