Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Just for fun (Roman AE 31mm).  (Read 1196 times)

Offline AdonisRock

• Consul
Just for fun (Roman AE 31mm).
« on: November 29, 2007, 01:13:34 am »
I just bought a small lot of uncleaneds pretty cheap, and it was this one that caught my attention, as it looks Julio-Claudian to me (though I could be way off).  Now I've seen some of you guys ID some coins that are in pretty rotten shape, so i figure this one shouldn't be too much trouble at all!  ;D ;)

Anyway, just thought it would be interesting to see what you guys can make of it underneath the dirt, and i'll update with cleaned pics as soon as I can.   Apart from the picture the only info I have is that it is apparantly 31mm.

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
Re: Just for fun (Roman AE 31mm).
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 02:15:19 am »
Hi AdonisRock,

At first, and quick, glance, from the shape of the portrait I would say Domitianus.
Just a guess

Regards
Potator

Offline AdonisRock

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 02:42:14 am »
hey Potator, thanks for your input.  Looking at the reverse it looks like Moneta with scales/cornucopia...

hah looks like that game lasted all of 1 hour..  ;D ... assuming we are right. 

Offline Jerome Holderman

• Caesar
  • My name is Jerome, and I am a coinaholic!
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 04:17:03 am »
I would agree with Domitian.

I'm afraid I don't think that coin will improve with cleaning though. Quite probably it will look worse if you try to clean it.

Just my opinion of course.

Regards,
Jerome

Offline Steve Minnoch

• Tribunus Plebis 2007
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 04:25:47 am »
I believe it is Domitian, from Perinthus, RPC 361.

AVTOK KAIΣΑΡ ΔΟΜΙΤΙΑΝΟΣ ΣΕΒ ΓΕΡ

ΠΕΡΙΝΘΙΩΝ, Homonoia stg l holding patera over altar and cornucopia.

Steve

Offline AdonisRock

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 04:49:20 am »
Jerome, I hope you are wrong, but it cost around $3 so no great loss if you're right.

Steve, I will hold you to that attribution;)

thanks.

Offline AdonisRock

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 03:29:32 am »
Well Steve, it seems that you were absolutely correct with this one, nice work.   

Unfortunately for myself, Jerome was also correct.  The little spots of green patina you can see are all thats left of it, I gave it a light zap and scrub, which improved the detail slightly and gave it a much nicer chocolate brown colour with gold highlights.  So that's something I guess.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity