Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Athens-Sparta in New York  (Read 1562 times)

Offline esnible

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • gorgon coins
Athens-Sparta in New York
« on: April 21, 2007, 07:01:42 pm »
There is an exhibition of antiquities from Athens and Sparta in New York, closing in a few weeks.  I just saw it.  It's at the Onassis Cultural Center.

There are a lot of Athenian coins on display, including a dekadrachm.

There were some iron "coin spits" from Sparta.  I have scanned a picture of them which can be seen on my blog
http://digitalhn.blogspot.com/2007/04/athens-sparta-new-york.html

Does anyone know how archeologists tell coin spits from food spits?

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Re: Athens-Sparta in New York
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 12:19:31 am »
I managed to find the slides I took, basically just for myself, from the Sparta Museum (one of my favorite towns, and with a museum in a lovely park in the center).  Around the walls of the main gallery are a dozen or so cases of finds, votive offerings by the hundreds, from the sanctuaries, the Menelaion, the sanctuary of Artemis Orthia (the richest in finds), the sanctuary of Apollo at Amyklai.  This is the only slide sharp enough to scan.  The spits were lying flat in cases in the center of the room.  I did take a picture of the little lead soldiers mentioned at your web site, but the case was on the darker side of the room.  They are votives, rather than toys from children's graves, which are large and sturdy enough to children to play with.  In the closed cabinets below the vitrines lots more of everything is stored in boxes.  I'm assuming Sparta hasn't gotten a new museum in the last 20 years.  Pat L.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity