Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Alexandria - Tranquilliana - Year 6  (Read 166 times)

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
Alexandria - Tranquilliana - Year 6
« on: May 30, 2023, 06:15:15 am »
For a friend, I am identifying these days about fifty coins from Alexandria, Ptolemean to Roman.
I have some difficulty with this Tranquilliana, year six, which type I can only find with the helmeted Athena Nikephora, shield against the chair.
Our specimen, which I cannot find on the www, has on the reverse an other person on the chair. Does anyone have a reference for this type?

And a second question: When I read on wikipedia about Tranquilliana, her active years are noted 241 to 244. What about that "Year 6" than? Or is that the 6th regnal year of Gordianus III ?

Here is the coin:

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: Alexandria - Tranquilliana - Year 6
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2023, 06:28:27 am »

Milne 3451, Nike seated l.

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=29595

Yes it is year 6 of Gordian III.

Pekka K

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
Re: Alexandria - Tranquilliana - Year 6
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2023, 06:39:40 am »
Pekka ! We were born the same year. I am your age, but you know lots more about ancient coins than I do, that 's for sure.
Thank you very much and probably till soon  :).

All coins are guaranteed for eternity