Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Why Retrograde?  (Read 423 times)

Offline VOTman

• Praetorian
Why Retrograde?
« on: May 17, 2023, 09:20:28 am »
Justin II, 11.2g, 30mm

Please have a look at the clearly retrograde N's in ANNO.
Why retrograde?  Is retrograde because of illiteracy, laziness, low coin standards, an error..., or something else?
And just how uncommon is this?

Offline Abu Galyon

• Caesar
  • Change we can believe in.
Re: Why Retrograde?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2023, 01:43:11 pm »
Your coin was likely struck by a travelling military mint (Moneta Militaris Imitativa) and the issue may well have been produced in some haste.  If you have access to a copy of Hahn and Metlich, MIBEC (2009), there's a good account given on page 33.

Bill R.

Offline VOTman

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2023, 02:31:14 pm »
Hi Bill,

Though I'm aware of the traveling military mints of the Romans I was not aware the Byzantines used them as well.  I don't have access to the book you referred to but some web research enlightened me otherwise.

Thanks Bill!

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2023, 09:34:04 pm »
Part of the explanation is that the common language in the East was Greek, not Latin. Literacy was much higher in Greek than Latin, but coins continued to be minted with Latin inscriptions. Another explanation was the Plague of Justinian, which continued in waves for the rest of the Sixth Century. Inscriptions took a dive once the waves of plague began.

Retrograde N and S are common.

Offline Edessa

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2023, 10:50:15 pm »
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=934769

This Umayyad imitation of Justin II is of a bit more crude style, but has the same retrograde "N"s.
Eugene

All coins are guaranteed for eternity