Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Greek?  (Read 535 times)

Offline Jon J

• Praetorian
Greek?
« on: May 13, 2023, 10:42:29 am »
Greeting,

I would like to ask if someone could help me with identification. Although I must admit that it is difficult. The coin appears to be in poor condition and I have no information on weight and dimensions. I got an answer that it could be a Greek coin from the island of Isa (a cup is visible), although I am not really sure. I will post a picture of the coin from Isa, but I don't think it's the one.
Thank you very much : )

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: Greek?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2023, 09:21:34 pm »
Hi JJ,

Why can't you measure the coin to obtain the dimensions? Do you have the coin?

Meepzorp

Offline Jon J

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2023, 02:42:01 am »
Hello,

I measure it, it is 5,56 g and 19 mm. : )

It is almost similar to last picture that I post.

Thank you very much

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2023, 02:36:37 pm »
My first impression of the obverse is that it is a portrait head of Tyche. I think I can see the turreted mural crown and a facing right portrait. I could also be very wrong, I just don't see a Kantharos from the photo. It could look differently in hand. Tyche appears on many civic coins.

Virgil

Offline Jon J

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2023, 03:10:47 pm »
Greeting,

Thank you for your reply. My first impression was that on one side there is a bunch of grapes with a branch above, on the other side I can't recognize what it is. Maybe a kantharos but I can't see it clearly. And maybe I'm completely wrong :)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2023, 05:40:42 pm »
Jon,
You may be right about the grapes, I may be wrong about Tyche, I was giving my impression of it. I agree that the reverse does look like grapes. That coin is hard to read for sure.  I wonder if you could do some cleaning of it.

Virgil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity