Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A New Gallery for Me  (Read 396 times)

Offline lawrence c

• Consul
A New Gallery for Me
« on: January 16, 2023, 08:45:12 pm »
I added a new sub-gallery to my gallery today. It's taken a while, but more or less completed a chronology of coinage from the Imperators to Anastasius. What I tried to do was to list all the personalities on Roman imperial coins with a representative coin for as many as possible. For those (unfortunately too many) emperors et al that I don't have in the collection, I put a place holder. I also did a very brief thumbnail for each one to put him/her in context. Please forgive me for the 5th Century emperors: that section looks like the weather we had in Western New York a few weeks ago; a lot of white. I still have some cleanup to do and some photos to retake, but thought I would try launching it. I would greatly appreciate hearing if there is anyone I'm missing on the chronology or if I otherwise messed up some details. My gallery still has the sub-sections based on eras (that could use some cleaning), but I wanted to try to tie it all together.

The gallery is at https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=40464

Best,
Larry

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
Re: A New Gallery for Me
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2023, 08:49:44 pm »
Lawrence,

Amazing work, and what an incredible amount of time it must have taken. I look forward to taking the time to thoroughly go through your gallery.

Tracy

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2023, 09:04:40 pm »
Some of the photos didn't upload properly...at least I can't see them.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2023, 09:07:39 pm »
Quite the undertaking!  Is the goal to own at least one of each?  That may take some time (and money!) but I respect the effort.

I can see one issue with your file naming convention.  For example

001q. Coinage of Other Relatives of Mark Antony

There are several dozen that could fit here (children, grand children, great grandchildren, son-in-laws and beyond all minted coins)Do you pick just one?  If you use more than one, the naming convention needs to have space for them to be added, since you jump next to 001r Ahenobarbus.

But I look forward to seeing it populated

Offline lawrence c

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2023, 09:11:00 pm »
I tried to make the chronology based on when the coinage was issued. In other words, all his descendants who had coins minted later should appear under the particular emperor.
Best,
Larry

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2023, 11:13:23 pm »
That is a lot work and some really nice coins. Regarding the placeholder white images, as has been discussed here in other posts, replacing images without having to delete and redo your entire entry seems to be impossible to do. Have you tried to change one of those placeholder images to a real image? Or did you plan to redo everything all along? In any case, well done so far.

Virgil

Offline lawrence c

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2023, 07:09:00 am »
Thank you. In the couple cases I've had to do it so far,  I have just done the delete and replace approach. In all honesty, I doubt that it will be much of a issue for me because I can't see me filling that many of the blanks. I hope to get lucky at a few auctions (don't we all?), but most of the remaining emperors etc are way above my budget or simply not available. I know that seeing a batch of blank entries can be irritating, but I wanted to keep the historical chronology intact.
Best
Larry

All coins are guaranteed for eternity