Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: How can you tell if Coin is FAKE or Real?  (Read 418 times)

Julio A

How can you tell if Coin is FAKE or Real?
« on: January 01, 2023, 06:42:08 pm »
Happy New Year to all,
I have a question. Someone is selling me this coin, but I can't tell if the coin is real or not. He claims to be Roman bronze coin from emperor Augustus. Can you tell me if is a real coin? or is it a FAKE?
Thank You so much for your HELP guys.
Julio

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Re: How can you tell if Coin is FAKE or Real?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2023, 08:04:45 pm »
Hi Julio.  Since this site is hosted by an ancient coin dealer, screening of purchases from other sources is generally against the rules.  That said, it is also not possible to definitely authenticate a coin just from a photograph.  The idea is either to "know the coin, or know the dealer", or don't buy.  There are many clues to look for, but it takes years of experience and handling actual coins to be certain about fakes, especially well-made ones.  You can trust ForumAncientCoins.com to only provide genuine coins, with a lifetime guarantee.  Others may have more specific information about the type of coin you are looking at, but it is not my areaGood luck!

Jimi (V-drome)

P.S. You can also look here at the known fake coins in the Forum Ancient Coins Database:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/index.php?cat=6

Julio A

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2023, 08:48:41 pm »
Hi Jimi,
I am sorry I didn't realize that. This is a guy in my city, is not a dealer. But I am sorry if I post it that way. Thanks for the input.

Julio

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2023, 11:22:34 pm »
It is OK, many make these mistakes when we start here. This is the best coin forum out there, but there are a few rules. Here is a page from the Numiswiki that may be helpful. Note that some fakes are easy to identify, others not so much. It is not an easy thing for most of us. There are some good resources here, though. Most of us, including me, have bought a fake. https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=Fake%20Coins

Virgil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity