Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Which Apollonia? Hermes / Grapes - Lydia?  (Read 421 times)

Offline OldMoney

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • My Site! www.oldmoney.com.au
    • Walter Holt's Old Money
Which Apollonia? Hermes / Grapes - Lydia?
« on: July 06, 2022, 06:15:36 pm »
Which Apollonia?

AE10, 0.88g, 12h. Obv: Hermes, Rev: Grapes.

I picked up this top coin recently without knowing exactly where it was from, with the
only epigraphic clue being the letters "AΠΟΛΛ" on the reverse. It was not clear whether
this referred to a city or a magistrate.

I was originally going to ask for help working out from where it may have been struck,
but before I did so I naturally worked my through all of the search facilities and various
catalogues, etc., trying to find something - anything - with Hermes on the obverse
and a grape bunch on the reverse.

Bizarrely, perhaps even ridiculously, I went back to the original source and saw that
there was an obverse die-matched coin from the same mint in the same auction
(which I had somehow missed in spite of my specific searches for this type of coin;
how I missed it I will never know
). See lower image.

This second coin gave an answer - but only part of the answer. It revealed the more
complete ethnic AΠΟΛΛΩΝΙΑΤΩΝ, but I still have the problem of working out which
Apollonia it may be.

I have my suspicions that it may be Lydian Tripolis, which was renamed Apollonia for a
short time, but cannot immediately confirm this. I think I can rule out most of the other
cities with the same name, but am open to suggestions.

If anyone has a better idea or can confirm a proper ID then I would love to hear it.

All the best,

- Walter

P.S. As an aside: I recall a chat about whether the proper term is "bunch of grapes" or
"grape bunch", but cannot recall which was which. Can anyone clarify this as well?
Coins of Ephesus
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/ephesuscoins
Walter Holt's Old Money - Ancient Coins
https://www.oldmoney.com.au
Sydney, Australia

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
Re: Which Apollonia? Hermes / Grapes - Lydia?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2022, 07:41:35 pm »
Hi Walter
There were several cities which used the city name APOLLWNIATWN on their coins.
I know of
Apollonia, Crete (coin not in Svoronos or the Cameron collection etc)
Apollonia, Illyria (coin probably not from here)
Apollonia, Lycia (did this town exist? Waddington doubted it)
Apollonia Salbake, Caria
Apollonia ad Rhyndacum, Mysia (often with an abbreviated reference to Rhynacum, e.g. P RYN or PROC RYNDAKW)
Apollonia Mordiaeum, Pisidia
Tripolis, Lydia (I only have five with this city name form in GRPC Lydia, none with Hermes, none with a bunch of grapes.

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Which Apollonia? Hermes / Grapes - Lydia?
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2022, 07:51:11 am »
Certainly not from Illyrian Apollonia--their ethnic ends in the Dorian form, ...ATAN

All coins are guaranteed for eternity