Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Paris Inventories and Acquisitions  (Read 617 times)

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
Paris Inventories and Acquisitions
« on: July 05, 2022, 07:39:02 pm »
Some of you may have guessed that I am a great fan of old numismatic references. When I first took over wildwinds, my heros Mionnet and Imhoof-Blumer supplied me with over 200 references of coins previously described as "unpublished" or on wildwinds simply as e.g. "Tyche" or "river-god". Mionnet, Imhoof and several others are still helping me find coins which are not found in any modern catalogs.

The Bibliotheque National in Paris is exemplary in publishing pdfs of old inventories, lists of donations and legacies, and lists of purchases of parts of old collections. Having already downloaded all the old inventories 7 years ago (and often refer to them), I found a large number of pdfs of purchases, donations and legacies. All the documents are hand-written, some more legible that others  ;)
I have listed the inventories and the most useful purchases etc. in a 2-page xls file with shortened titles, some information about the contents and download links. I have only had a problem downloading one of them (the first on the Aquisitions sheet), which timed out on eight attempts but it can be viewed page by page (downloading from page x to page y doesn't work either).
Anyway, if you can read and understand French, you might enjoy browsing through them.
My xls list can be found here:
www.wildwinds.com/coins/pdfs/Inventories_and_Acquisition_links.xls

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
Re: Paris Inventories and Acquisitions
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2022, 09:00:30 pm »
Fantastiques références ! Merci pour toutes ces recherches Dane.
DT

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2022, 11:16:09 am »
Dane,

Probably my fault, but nothing happens when I click on your Inventories link given above.

Curtis Clay
Curtis Clay

Offline Flav V

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2022, 11:16:47 am »
Nice job.

The link doesnt work. I just click on and nothing happen.

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2022, 11:27:12 am »
Thank you for this. It works for me. Note that this is a link to a spreadsheet, not a web page, so with my computer (a MAC), I had to download and then open it.

Virgil

Offline Flav V

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2022, 11:44:49 am »
I think i found the problem: when i try to download my antivirus block it. Thats why me and Curtis Clay cant open it.

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2022, 06:04:54 pm »
Exactly - it's not a webpage but an xls list and when you click on the link it should ask you where you want to save it to.
This is the same as for the "RIC lists"on my Helvetica website.

Would it perhaps be useful to make it into a pdf ?

Offline Flav V

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2022, 06:40:56 pm »
It wont let me download the link. Please turn it into pdf.

Regards,

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar

Offline Flav V

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2022, 09:19:45 am »
It work, thanks!

More adding: L'empire tant latins que grecs du Cabinet du Roy 2 Médaillons d'or et d'argent (im french) its wrote on first page: wenesday 1685. You can add the date.
Rollin Acquisitions Purchases from Rollin auction house: i read 1839 to 1845 in the book.
Saulcy Collection Monnaies gauloises: acquisition voted in 1872 by national assembly, certificate of directory 1873
Vogüe Collection I. L'Orient antique (Persia, Palestine, Africa) & Roman Imperial: donated in 1917, book signed in 1918
Vogüe Collection II. L'Orient latin (middle Ages from ca. AD 1100) seems 1918 as noted by bnf (click on know more on left ''en savoir plus'', date d'édition)

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2022, 08:11:18 pm »
Has anyone been able to download the first title in the ACQUISITIONS list ? (Acquisitions des collections
patrimoniales)

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2022, 07:56:05 am »
My antivirus also traps Helvetica's excel file if I click on the link, but it pops up a message in doing so, and allows me to override the block if I "trust" the file.

As to the first inventory file on BnF (https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b10464382b): I can punch all the way through to where my browser tries to open the file, but it took forever to start (much less finish) the download.  Suddenly, it opened!  It is a BIG file, 461pp., 130MB.  I will work on skinnying it down (for example, it includes this nice, but unnecessary hi-rez photo of the book spine, itself nearly 5MB). Then I'll try to find a way to share with you, Dane.  I used to be able to upload PDFs to my gallery, but that appears to have gone away with the site update. 

Anaximander Barypous
Member since 2019.
FAC Member Gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity