Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Need help identifying an Abbasid Dirham (possibly Harun al-Rashid) - many thanks  (Read 303 times)

Offline Jamie C

• Legionary
Hi everyone,

I need help identifying an Abbasid dirham I have purchased as a gift for a friend. I have struggled to identify this using Plant's book, not least because of the extended 'box' letters. My searches tell me that this coin is possibly of Harun al-Rashid - his are the only coins (that I have found) that regularly seem to feature the letter 'ha' - 'ه' in the reverse field at the bottom (it looks like a Latin lower-case 'd') - e.g. here (https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces52524.html - it looks to me very similar to this coin, although I think based on the inscription that the mint is different)

Any help identifying the coin and reading the inscription would be fantastic (a transcription would be immensely helpful). It weight 2.91g, and was purchased ID'd simply 'VIKING TRADED - Arabic silver dirham that dates to the 8th century AD. These coins were traded by the Vikings, examples have been found in Saxon graves.'

Any and all help much appreciated.

Best,

Jamie

Offline Jamie C

• Legionary

All coins are guaranteed for eternity