Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help IDing aRoman (?) coin  (Read 369 times)

Offline Brian S6

• Auxiliary
Help IDing aRoman (?) coin
« on: June 30, 2022, 08:33:49 am »
Hello first post, so please bear with me.

Found in a farm field in England near the town of Bishops Stortford
Weight: 1.35 g
Diam: 15 mm

What I can make out on the obverse is a 5 or 6 pointed radiate crown.
The reverse appears to be a figure with an outstretched arm/hand and maybe the letters I^ (Iota Lambda)

Any help is very much appreciated!

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Help IDing aRoman (?) coin
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2022, 09:53:22 pm »
Barbarous radiate imitative coin.

The obverse reminds me of the coins of Tetricus I (I can make out a beard) but I don't think any of his reverse types had a seated figure.

However, some of Carausius' do - seated Pax for example - so given that and its find location, it might be an imitative coin of a Carausius type.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline ChefStu22

• Consul
Re: Help IDing aRoman (?) coin
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2022, 09:38:31 am »
Afternoon Brian, congrats on getting permission to detect over that way I am in harlow and have been trying to get permission anywhere round here for 12 months and thus far have been unsuccessful hopefully yours turn up many more treasures :)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity