Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Dupes in a Gallery  (Read 909 times)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Dupes in a Gallery
« on: June 17, 2022, 07:57:54 pm »
I am planning on starting a gallery. Partly to add to the great coins already here and partly as my own record. I keep a spreadsheet of my coins. My question is, do people put duplicates in their galleries? I don't have many, but have a few due to buying lots in areas I am interested in. As a record, it seems fine. As a practical matter, maybe not. Was wondering what you think. My gallery will mostly be common coins, not much in the way of spectacular.

Thanks,
Virgil

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Dupes in a Gallery
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2022, 08:47:50 pm »
Looking forward to it Virgil.

Personally I put all of my coins in my gallery, even duplicates.  I even made a folder for my sold coins to keep a record.

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2022, 08:52:45 pm »
Thanks Jay, that was pretty much what I was thinking, too. Appreciate the response.

Virgil

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2022, 09:30:51 pm »
I can't believe you have not jumped on the gallery bandwagon yet! It's one of the killer app features of FORUM

Generally I add every coin as I acquire it (though I have a few LRBs that have been with me decades I've not gotten around to adding yet).  I definitely put in duplicates - for the most part they are not the same dies anyway.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2022, 10:05:40 pm »
Thanks for your response, Ron. My main problem is photography that I am very unsure about (and self-conscious about the quality). I think I have finally figured that part out. I agree it is a great feature of Forum. There is a time investment, of course, but I enjoy any excuse to "play" with my coins. I have my Elymais coins almost all photographed now because I am sharing them with a PhD student that asked me if he could use them in his studies, so that motivated me to take pictures and try to document them as best I can so he may make use of them in his research. This is also where I have the most dupes.

Regards,
Virgil

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2022, 01:24:08 pm »
Virgil,

I echo Jay's sentiment. Can't wait to see your gallery.

Tracy

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2022, 06:02:44 pm »
Thanks to all for the encouragement. It is motivating for sure!

Regards,
Virgil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity