Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Bosporus: Divus Rhescuporis and Severus Alexander - unknown sign  (Read 1021 times)

Offline Timestheus

• Praetorian
  • Veritas? Quid est veritas?
    • Timestheus Collection
Hello...
I get this silver electron - issued under Cotys III in the time of Severus Alexander.

Av: Head of Divus Rhescuporis II. or III.

Rv: Head of Severus Alexander

Ok. The Reverse is no problem, because its 525 Bosporian Time - that's 228/229 AD.

On Avers we can see Divus Rhescuporis II. or III. The coin issued, when Rhescuporis II. and Rhescuporis III. died and Cotys III. get the crown. Problem is - father and son died in the same year. "Little is known of the life and reign of Rhescuporis II. His son (Rhescuporis III) also died in the year of his death. Rhescuporis II was succeeded by Cotys III."

The Inscription ΒΑϹΙΛƐΩϹ ΡΗϹΚΟΥΠΟΡΙΔΟϹ also no problem, it is Basileus Rhescuporis.

So ;) and now my question. What's about the inscription ΘƐ at Avers side?
What could it be? have anyone any idea? Thanks!

Offline Timestheus

• Praetorian
  • Veritas? Quid est veritas?
    • Timestheus Collection
Re: Bosporus: Divus Rhescuporis and Severus Alexander - unknown sign
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2022, 03:31:27 pm »
Solved :) ...!

I find the coin at accsearch at an older LEU-Auction:
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=8907274

KINGS OF BOSPORUS. The Divine Rhescuporis II, with Severus Alexander, 228/9. Stater (Electrum, 19 mm, 6.85 g, 1 h), struck under Cotys III, BE 525 = 228/9. BACIΛЄΩC ΡHCKOΥΠOΡIΔOC Diademed and draped bust of Rhescuporis II to right; before, ΘЄ. Rev. ЄΚΦ Laureate head of Severus Alexander to right; before, pellet. MacDonald 583. A very attractive example of this rare and historically interesting issue. About extremely fine.
From the Pontos Euxeinos Collection, formed in the late 1990s and early 2000s.

The ΘЄ on the obverse of this interesting coin stands for Theos, god.

The issue was struck under Cotys III for his deceased father, the Divine Rhescuporis II.

And I think - this coin was the picture-example on RPC:
https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/6/2063

All coins are guaranteed for eternity