Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Maurice Byzantine follis  (Read 303 times)

Dave S3

Maurice Byzantine follis
« on: August 15, 2021, 07:37:11 am »
Probably a very easy one. I had understood that to the right of the giant M is the year date. I have seen them with various Roman numerals and it has always seemed to make sense. However this one I don't understand; how do I read "ANNO NU", and which year is it? if the U was on top I could easily read it as an odd V; year 8 ("V III"), but I do not think this one means that. He only reigned for 21 years, I'm baffled as to why this one isn't a bit easier!

Thank you in advance :)

regards
David

Online Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: Maurice Byzantine follis
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2021, 07:54:18 am »

Dave S3

Re: Maurice Byzantine follis
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2021, 09:29:52 pm »
Ahh, so my guess was right, a upside down III U (with the U being a variation on a V).

Thank you!

regards
David

All coins are guaranteed for eternity