Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Isegrim offline  (Read 9811 times)

Offline TenthGen

• Consul
  • Ferrata Fidelis Constans
Re: Isegrim offline
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2021, 06:37:21 pm »
Yet another reason why Dane is one of the great heroes of the online ancient coin world! Great work!

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2021, 08:49:59 pm »
I rarely used the old Isegrim mostly because for a long time I did not know how. I finally figured it out about a year ago (or maybe 3, hard to keep track). I do think it was an excellent resource. I haven't read all of this thread, but I gather that  thanks to Dane we can looking forward to trying a new easier version. I look forward to it. Thanks Dane!
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Thilo

• Consul
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2021, 11:17:57 am »
Thank you so much, Dane. I used the Excel sheets for the first time, today, after trying to work with gcam for several weeks. And this is just so much faster, so much better. While I got something out of gcam after a while, today's experience was just great.  Thank you, once more.

Thilo

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2021, 05:07:50 pm »
Forum member Tjaart has very kindly checked through wildwinds for coins described as unpublished so I am going through the loooong lists he has sent me and adding them to the Isegrim xls.
In addition, as I mentioned to Thilo in an email, where the figure on the reverse is just a single person, let's say Asklepios, there is not much point in retaining the (1) after his name and after his attributes. The (1) is just wasting space, so when I come across them for single figures, I am removing the (1), as the attributes obviously cannot belong to anyone else except the person depicted. There are thousands of the damn things. e.g. ATHENA(1).....SPEAR(1) / SHIELD(1) / HELMET(1) will become ATHENA.....SPEAR / SHIELD / HELMET. Much cleaner.
I will try to upload the latest version(s) once a week. Check the READ ME sheet for the date of that version.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2021, 06:20:11 pm »
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2021, 08:34:27 pm »
So far 1,770 ADDITIONAL coins have been added to Sheet 1 which now stands at 37,357 lines.
Tjaart has been scanning wildwinds and sent me the last lists of vars on wildwinds which need to be added to the Isegrim list.
When those are done I can tidy up Sheet 2.
You will notice that sheet 1 is a lot cleaner with a lot of the (1) attributes removed when they cannot belong to anyone else,
e.g.
WOMAN STANDING HL (1)............ ATHENA (1) ............. SPEAR (1) / HELMET (1) / SHIELD (1)
is now shown as
WOMAN STANDING HL............ ATHENA ............. SPEAR / HELMET / SHIELD

I noticed that an awful lot of obverse legends are missing from the original Isegrim files, so I will take some time out to try and find them.
There was also a hidden hyperlink on two lines which was almost impossible to remove, no matter what I tried. I finally managed to kill the little devil.

UPDATE 29. MAY: Over 2,100 coins added to sheet 1.
Download link still: https://www.wildwinds.com/Isegrim/Isegrim_allfiles.xls

UPDATE 13, JUNE:
- Sheet 2 is now also sorted, corrected and descriptions clarified.
- More than 2,500 coins have been added to the original lines
- The Bibliography list has been added on two sheets: Books & Articles // Auctions. Many of the article titles, journal volume numbers, dates, page numbers etc which were missing from Isegrim, have been found and added. Some auctions are still missing information though because the original details are so vague or missing .

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2022, 06:02:04 pm »
Just an update on my Isegrim xls list. It was a landmark day today, adding coins of Juliopolis from Devecioglu's thesis previously not present, to the Isegrim list.

These brought the ADDITIONS to the Isegrim xls list to 5,500
and the total number of Asia Minor coins in the Isegrim xls list to 62,169

I already "did" the Julia Domna coins of Caesarea, Cappadocia from the Ganschow book. Next big job is checking through the Sept. Severus then Caracalla's, Geta's coins etc. in that book.

Links:
Available on   https://www.wildwinds.com/Isegrim/Isegrim_allfiles.xls
Text file: How to use this Isegrim file    https://www.wildwinds.com/Isegrim/Using_Isegrim_xls.txt

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2022, 02:50:45 pm »
Thanks Dane!
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2023, 09:30:10 pm »
Isegrim xls database news, 13th August 2023:

Here are some current numbers:
"AE AD" sheet, including Roman Provincials
Current number of entries: 41,247 = 5,693 coins added to the original Isegrim list for this type

"AE BC" sheet, AE coins from before Roman times
Current number of entries: 10, 807 = 1,495 coins added  to the original Isegrim list for this type

Total number of coins of AE AD, AE BC, AR civic issues, AR Roman Provincials, AV/EL and a separate sheet of added Ephesos coins which I need to sort out for the AR civic sheet = 66,757 coins = 10,083 coins added  in total

List still available here.
https://www.wildwinds.com/Isegrim/Isegrim_allfiles.xls

Saving the file is taking longer and longer. I was wondering whether I should split it into two separate xls files - one for the AE AD / AE BC and Roman Provincials AR, and one for the AR and AV/EL coins...

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2023, 03:36:05 pm »
I hope they let you do it! I actually have not used Isegrim more than a few times but I would if it was easier to use.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Curtis JJ

• Caesar
    • CONSERVATORI: Ancient Coins & Their Provenances
« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2023, 09:36:29 pm »
I hadn't realized until recently you were adding new coins to the database but I've downloaded the XLS a while I ago & been using it. I look up almost relevant coin of mine, or any coin I'm thinking about buying/bidding on (both for further references and provenance research), and have actually found further provenances & publications for many of my coins in ISEGRIM.

The biggest thing I prefer about the XLS is that I can jump directly to a record number. If I use GCAM or the other site (isegrim.dasr.de/isegrim_neu/test2014.php) I have to search out the record each time. I'm still usually looking everything up on both now (there are occasionally some minor differences, e.g., (1), (2), (3), vs. (1-3) which can matter for identifying specific specimens w/ certainty).
“Collect the collectors…” John W Adams’ advice to J Orosz (Asylum 38, 2: p51)

Galleries https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=27154

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2023, 03:27:48 am »
I think I use the xls file almost weekly, it is mostly the first source I am consulting. Thanks a lot for all this work.

... Saving the file is taking longer and longer. I was wondering whether I should split it into two separate xls files ...
I have no problems with that at all. Perhaps your computer needs some upgrade? I would prefer to have it all in one file, this is easier to handle.
But take care: For Excel there is a maximal number of lines you can have  ;).

Regards

Altamura

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2023, 10:36:48 am »
I don't think the problem with the longer open/save times is due to my PC (despite it being a trusty Windows 7). I tried it on my "new" (s/h refurbished) Windows 10 notebook and it took the same time to open it. I think it's the sheer size of the xls. The AD AE (Roman provincials) alone has over 41,000 lines and, now that I have added a lot of AR "tiddlers", the AR sheet is nearly 11,900 lines.
I know about the limitations of the number of lines in Excel.

I think I will split the AD AE sheet into two sheets - one for Greek legends and one for Latin legends. I think most coins will have at least one legible letter which is usually used only in Latin legends, e.g. R, S, D, F, G, L, as opposed to their Greek equivalents. So if you have a coin and can see an  :Greek_Phi::Greek_Omega::Greek_Theta_2::Greek_Pi: etc, you'd look in the AE AD Greek list.
I am currently adding some unpublished vars from Naumann's auction 91 (July 2020), then I can see about splitting the AE AD sheet.

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2023, 11:43:39 am »
I don't think the problem with the longer open/save times is due to my PC (despite it being a trusty Windows 7). I tried it on my "new" (s/h refurbished) Windows 10 notebook and it took the same time to open it.

It took me 8 seconds to download and 12 seconds to open the file. My fibre optic connection is fast, but my computer is an average 6 year old Windows 10 system. IMHO from the user side there is no reason to split the file, but if your upload time ist too long, a split isn't  a problem.

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2023, 01:39:26 pm »
The save time on my PC is 14 seconds, i.e. to save the open file back onto the V drive on my NAS (diskstation). Uploading it to the server only takes 3-4 seconds.
My old Excel can handle 65,536 rows per sheet. The horrible newer versions of Excel - not tweakable and with their idiotic "ribbons" and "pretty colours"for Newbies and which require up to 6 clicks for something when the older versions require only 2 - can handle over 100,000 lines per sheet, which is about the only thing in their favour. ;D

Splitting the AE into Greek and Latin makes little difference in the size of the file, by the look of it.
Online version (unsplit): 21,859 kb
My version on NAS (split): 21,865 kb
I might unsplit it again...

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2023, 02:03:39 pm »
Either way, 21 MB files are tiny these days. I would just leave it one file. Unless things have changed, all a spreadsheet is is a bunch of ASCII text (I think images are links, not 100% sure, I never put an image in a spreadsheet). ASCII worked fine on 300 baud dialup. I think spreadsheets are the only software that have remained open source all these years since Lotus123 with dot commands, so all of them use the same basic code. I use Open Office and it can handle the same number of rows as Excel (65, 536). I have never come close to testing those limits. Thanks for all the work you do on this and Wildwinds, Dane.

Virgil

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2023, 03:21:09 am »
Less than two seconds to open and less than five to save  :) (using LibreOffice instead of Excel).

In my eyes this is a matter of the capability of the processor and perhaps the RAM available. In other words: how mighty your machine is.

Regards

Altamura

Offline Bill W4

• Caesar
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2023, 03:32:20 pm »
when I try to log in, I get a message that I must buy Open Office??  I know I'm cheap but what?
I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member!

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2023, 03:50:48 pm »
I have never paid for Open Office, not sure what that is about. I am way too cheap to buy Microsoft Office,  ;D

Virgil

Offline Bill W4

• Caesar
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2023, 08:39:42 pm »
I think it's just Microsoft being Microsoft.  Hadn't used open office for quite some time. No need to pay.
I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member!

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2023, 07:10:23 pm »
I am currently setting up a new PC (with Windows 10, special build with 5 hard disks, two of them SSD) to replace my current Windows 7 and asked the techy to install Office 2021 (YUK :()) and now it's too late to install my trusty old Excel, which was soooo much easier to use than this new untweakable thing with its damn silly "ribbons" and not even "Exit" in the menu..
Anyway, I will continue to add coins to the Isegrim file (and my RIC lists) using the old Excel format (so .xls instead of .xlsx) if I can.
(I have been setting up the new PC on the living room table for 6 days so far, linked via wifi to my current PC to make some work a bit easier,  such as finding licence numbers. Just a couple more progs. to be added, then nearly 1 Terabyte of data and backups to be copied over from my current external G drive.... Thank Gawd all the wildwinds files and 15,000 pdf files are on my NAS  ;D)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity