Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Fake Septimius? (odd style)  (Read 1044 times)

Offline Choucas

• Auxiliary
Fake Septimius? (odd style)
« on: December 12, 2020, 04:57:44 pm »
Hello,

I have been told that this denarius of Septimius Severus is fake. The main points were the odd portrait and the obverse lettering. I've then asked other people but received uncertain answers : the obverse is indeed suspect, but the reverse and the edge seems to be good. Following a recommendation, I'm now asking here for your opinion about whether it is genuine or not.

I've been unable to find a fake reported or a die match with a genuine specimen. However I could find some coins with an obverse style approaching mine, like this one : https://www.numisbids.com/n.php?p=lot&sid=4261&lot=1058
It is 2.55g which is low, but not too unusual for a denarius of Septimius.

Opinions are welcome. Thank you in advance.

(I hope I've been able to attache the pictures correctly)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Fake Septimius? (odd style)
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 03:20:50 pm »
The portrait is unlike any I have seen before. That makes me very suspicious, but I cannot condemn it. If I had it on consignment, I would have to research it very carefully and probably wouldn't be able to sell it. I would have to gain confidence that I don't have now.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 08:55:30 pm »
I'm not as much an expert as most here, but I do have a lot of septimius denarii, and that's the most un-septimius looking portrait I've seen in a while.  the forehead, nose and jaw all look out of the usual proportion to me.

If it is an authentic coin, it's not a common depiction for sure.

it does look genuinely struck though, so if fake, the studio went to a bit of trouble for a fairly common type.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline 77HK77

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2020, 07:37:55 am »
Is the obverse tooled?

Seems to have more wear on the reverse than the obverse.
The hairline at the forehead looks suspect in the photo to me along with some of the neck area, the G  etc..
But I'm not an expert and definitely can't make the judgement from a photo

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2020, 01:08:56 pm »
Is the obverse tooled?

Seems to have more wear on the reverse than the obverse.

Hi folks,

When I first looked at it, similar thoughts came to my mind.

The reverse looks genuine, and the obverse looks fake. And yes, there is a significant difference in condition/wear if you compare the obverse and reverse.

Meepzorp

Offline Choucas

• Auxiliary
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2020, 08:54:46 am »
Hello,
First of all, thank you very much for your answers.
Here are pics sent by someone of another denarius with a similar portrait, that looks to share similar features with my coin but also with the linked specimen from [REMOVED BY ADMIN] : similar unusual portrait (notice the crown, neck, ribbon, hair and beard style...), similar lettering. Also, they were issued very closely in time.

I agree with the fact that the reverse looks more worn than the obverse. I'm not sure about how the reverse die wear and the strike could affect this, but it's definitely a relevant point and this raises questions.

My opinion is that my coin might be genuine and that all the obverse dies used to strike the three specimens were possibly made by the same engraver. The coin then could have been tooled, brushed or something else, but it's beyond my expertise at this point. I could be wrong about the authenticity though. I'm always looking forward to something that could set a decisive answer, whether it concludes to a fake or a genuine coin.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2020, 04:49:01 pm »
The portrait in the last post looks quite normal to me, and quite different from the first post.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Online Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2020, 09:41:42 pm »
Easier to compare this way:
DT

Offline Flav V

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2020, 04:19:02 am »
It look like a modern copy for me, but as Joe, cant be sure of it.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity