Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Republican denarius  (Read 461 times)

AquilaSPQR

Republican denarius
« on: January 11, 2017, 06:37:33 am »
I'm afraid I need your assistance with another republican denarius. I believe it's "Victory on biga" type, but I don't see any legend and can't find any exact match.

Obverse - Roma, helmeted, (this element, I believe it's called "visor" is partially visible, there's also characteristic hair). It seems there was an "X" or a similar sign (star maybe) under the chin, part of it is still visible.

Reverse - it seems it's biga and that it's Victory there. No legend visible, at least to me. Also horses' heads seem to point upwards and I couldn't find the same type, on all denarii I've seen so far those heads were usually "horizontal".

If anyone could help me with ID or at least an approximate dating I would grately appreciate it.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Republican denarius
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 08:12:15 am »

AquilaSPQR

Re: Republican denarius
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 08:53:29 am »
Wow! It's very similar, I think it may be it! Some examples have even the very similar looking bust of Roma (not a perfect die match, but still nearly identical). And the reverse is also nearly identical. Now when I have examples for comparison I think I even see traces of legend - three vetical lines where F L F should be and something that may be "C" from CILO.

Thank you very much for your help

All coins are guaranteed for eternity