Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Wildwinds: News etc.  (Read 84386 times)

Offline Curtis JJ

• Caesar
    • CONSERVATORI: Ancient Coins & Their Provenances
Re: Wildwinds: News etc.
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2010, 06:41:38 pm »
The DVD -- wow! Gotta get that!
The Roman Imperial stuff, I can usually attribute pretty well with the online resources and occasionally text references...
But for Greek that's a monumental reference! $40 vs $3800 if I understand correctly (DVD vs book).
Now, if you do that for Byzantine coins, I might actually cry tears of joy (though wilwinds + forum is a pretty solid combo for most -- most -- of the Byzantine ones in my collection.
It's a totally different world for collectors than it was even 10 years ago, largely becaue of the research tools using new media

To those who produce these research resources at great personal cost in time and energy (maybe financial too?): THANK YOU!
“Collect the collectors…” John W Adams’ advice to J Orosz (Asylum 38, 2: p51)

Galleries https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=27154

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2010, 07:19:36 am »
Hi Curtis
For all Byzantine bronzes, you can download my RIC lists in Excel format - the Byzants are listed in three different excel lists, largem.xls for the large M type reverses, large-others for all the other large letter type reverses (large K, large E, large X, XX, etc) and byzants.xls for all the other types including the anonymous bronzes with legends in x lines, cross reverses, general coins etc.

There are currently about 50 different lists for Roman bronzes, some under reverse types, some emperor coin lists (Gallienus, Aurelian, Probus, Tacitus etc), one for the Nicaea (and Antioch Pisidia) "three standards" types, one for the Viminacium and Dacia types (standing between lion and bull etc.), the list of Gordian III coins, and loads of others.

All ready for free download! There is also a short pdf on how to use the xls lists effectively and quickly, so you can whizz through your coins literally in seconds.

They can be downloaded either here on the forvm under "Helvetica's RIC lists" or on my other website http://www.catbikes.ch/coinstuff/coinstuff.htm

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2010, 08:48:38 am »
Spot the difference.....
Notice anything new about this page ?
http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/greece/thrace/philippopolis/i.html

I think it is an improvement and will save me time because until now, each time I needed to add a coin to the top (alphabetically acc. to reference) of an emperors list, I had to copy delete and paste the link to the emperor's website as well. This way I can just add the coins.

I will be doing this to other pages which have a large number of Provincial coins, e.g. Serdica, Pautalia, etc.

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2010, 12:33:20 pm »
For cold autumn and winter nights when you've helped ID all the coins in this forum section  ;D, perhaps you would like to have a go at the coins I have just uploaded to
http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/mystery/mystery.html

They are mostly Greeks and Provincials, though there is a mysterious Domitian imperial amongst them too.
I would be grateful for any help with any of these.

There are more in an old folder but I will add these at a later date.

Offline Tom Mullally

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2010, 12:54:52 pm »
I was only able to take a very quick look, but 8207 is from Zeugma.  Ant Pius is correct.

Tom
Tom Mullally

Classical Numismatic Group

Offline Kurt E

• Caesar
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2010, 03:26:22 pm »
Hey Dane,
     I took a quick look as well.

4452 - is most likely Carrhae, Mesopotamia - probably caracalla?

6572 - Rhesaena, Mesopotamia - these seem to usually be attributed to Caracalla - Legends are LEG (left of Vexillum) III (right), Retrograde S (left lower), C (right).  This one would be Lindgren I 2608 (bust supported by eagle)  The obverse legend is obscured on his specimen unfortunately.  Lindgren 2608 is a different bust type, but does have OKPATW in the obverse legend per Lindgren.

5669 - is a pseudoautonomous issue of Pergamum, Mysia  OBV- QEON CYNKLHTON  Draped bust of Senate right
                                                                                        REV - QEAN PWMHN   Bust of Roma right, no tresses, crescent before
           This particular variant is not listed in RPC I.  I have a similar specimen that I have attributed as RPC ! 2375V (lituus before instead of crescent)

1074 - Appears to be Volusian

Kurt

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2010, 09:20:07 pm »
The odd Domitian 8224 is Agrippa II copying Rome, SALVTI - EPI BA AGR(I) - AVGVST S C,

RPC 2266 with obv. COS X and rev. ET - KE, year 25 = 84/5 AD

RPC 2270 with obv. COS XII, rev. ET - KS, year 26 = 85/6 AD.
Curtis Clay

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2010, 09:58:16 pm »
Many many thanks for all these !! Absolutely brilliant.
(I would still like to find that blasted scorpion/lyre coin - it is keeping me awake at night.. )

Later: I have deleted the ones mentioned above which now have definite IDs. I think 1074 is Lindgren III 764A (veiled head of Demeter right) as the reverse legend appears to begin AI :Greek_Gamma: :Greek_epsilon:AI :Greek_Omega:N
So that is another which will be deleted and added to wildwinds.
Thanks in advance for any more tips !

Offline Kurt E

• Caesar
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2010, 10:18:53 pm »
Hey Dane,
    Just to keep you frustrated on the scorpion,  could it be an issue from Cyprus?  I was looking for another coin in RPC and came across RPC I 3916.  It has a capricorn on the obverse and a scorpion on the reverse.  It is loosely attributed to the time of Augustus.  Probably doesn't help, but maybe another area to search.

Kurt

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2010, 11:36:47 am »
Hi Kurt
Yes, I already checked Cyprus. I think the Scorpion on the RPC represents Scorpio - the birthsign of Livia perhaps - seeing as Augustus's own birth sign (Capricorn) is on the obverse.

I still have a feeling it is from an island somewhere. (I can see a rocky, slightly hilly landscape with the sea in the background in my mind's eye when I look at the image) - I need to see if I can find some obscure works covering Cyprus.

Dane

Offline Kurt E

• Caesar
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2010, 02:48:17 pm »
Dane,
    Here is your coin labeled AE20_Bull   - Arados, Phoenicia

http://www.acsearch.info/record.html?id=92264

I don't have BMC Phoenicia, but the correct citation for Lindgren is Lindgren I 2234

Kurt

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2010, 03:44:06 pm »
Thanks so much Kurt, I really appreciate you spending your time on these. I found it in BMC Phoenicia, it's on page 41, at the top, so BMC 330. It'll probably be in Rouvier too - I didn't think of Arados, I was trying to think of a city with the letters PO :Greek_Delta: in it  ::)

Offline Kurt E

• Caesar
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2010, 03:52:51 pm »
Hey Dane,
    This coin from Termessos Minor looks close to  # 8993

http://www.acsearch.info/record.html?id=162629

not an exact match, but pretty close.

Kurt

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2010, 08:53:24 pm »
It probably IS a lyre from Termessos, I can see the MESSE..
I need to check some books.
Thanks Kurt.

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2012, 06:06:21 pm »
Latest RIC Lists

For those of you who are not subscribers of my RIC Lists newsletters, and who may not have noticed the latest RIC lists, here are the lists which have been uploaded since January 2012:

- Stag reverses: Greek and Provincial coins, silver and bronzes which have ONLY a stag on the reverse. This list began primarily as a compilation of the Ephesus bee/stag types then more city coins were added. Note that there are no diana with stag types, no imperial types of e.g. Gallienus or the Philips.
- Valerian II and Saloninus antoniniani
- Siliquae.xls includes siliquae, miliarense etc. from RIC VIII to RIC X.

Next up will be a list of all the RIC coinage of Caracalla (AE, AR and AV). If anyone cares to test it before its uploaded, please send me an email (to the address in my Forvm profile) and using the subject "Caracalla xls".

mirek-1973

« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2012, 02:44:08 pm »
Hi, i would like to add to Wildwinds coin Constans of unlisted mintmark e(epsilon) sis star?

Offline Mark Z

• Caesar
  • Sit Julius Caesar quod vos es non.
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2012, 03:45:05 pm »
Mirek,

Helvetica has a handy upload tool for Wildwinds but you will have to email her to ask for the link and login information.

Regards,
mz

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2012, 04:54:45 pm »
Mark is right, we do have a tool to upload coins to a "holding dock" - I then download them about once a month, write the information, prepare the images etc.
However, I do not send the access information to people who use
- hotmail
- aol
- yahoo

email addresses, because the address databases of these providers are regularly hacked and the emails scanned by the hackers for words such as "access", "password" etc. (In the past year I have received at least 120 spam mails sent from addresses of coin friends and Forum members and they know nothing about it until it is too late).
The upload tool is password protected but there is the danger that a hacker who has found the password in that way can use the access to upload his filth with Blackhat or other spamming methods.

Lloyd Taylor

« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2012, 05:01:51 pm »
Mark is right, we do have a tool to upload coins to a "holding dock" - I then download them about once a month, write the information, prepare the images etc.
However, I do not send the access information to people who use
- hotmail
- aol
- yahoo

.......      The upload tool is password protected but there is the danger that a hacker who has found the password in that way can use the access to upload his filth with Blackhat or other spamming methods.

Just a suggestion, but would it be easier and more secure if people wishing to add a coin to the Wildwinds database were to post the coin in their Forvm Personal Gallery with all the attribution details, then alert you via PM after which you could copy it over to the Wildwinds database?

mirek-1973

« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2012, 05:03:22 pm »
ok,I do not know English ... could someone put this coin?Lloyd T is right

mirek-1973

« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2012, 05:16:27 pm »
RIC8 siscia 78 NOT LISTED E (EPSILON)15-17mm.1,2g.

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2012, 07:32:38 pm »
The problem with sending gallery links used to be that for some reason, the link automatically generated and shown as URL:.... in the information field beneath gallery images, was incorrect. People used to send me the URL, saying it was e.g. a coin of Tacitus, but when I clicked it, it was something completely different. That problem seems to have been fixed.
But the "system" in use at the moment seems to work, i.e. the usual suspects  ;D already have the password and access information, other people send them by email.
I am just a bit paranoic about those hotmail, aol and yahoo addresses and those of you who know what havoc hackers have caused wildwinds in the past will surely understand my paranoia.

This coin of Mirek's is - as he writes a RIC 78 var.
I will add it to my xls file, and also to wildwinds.
Marek: I cannot add it immediately. I have just cleared the backlog and need to do some other work before adding the new "waiting for upload" coins.

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2012, 01:51:22 am »
The problem with sending gallery links used to be that for some reason, the link automatically generated and shown as URL:.... in the information field beneath gallery images, was incorrect. People used to send me the URL, saying it was e.g. a coin of Tacitus, but when I clicked it, it was something completely different. That problem seems to have been fixed.

i think many people used to c&p the link from their browser, as they would in most cases.
however the only link which will work properly everytime is the one from the coins description. after many discussions here about this i think more people understand that now, and perhaps that is 'the fix'.

i have many coins types which are not represented on Wildwinds. however i have an Aol account.

mirek-1973

« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2012, 02:57:39 am »
ok, thank you and wish you a Merry Christmas, greet Mirek.

Offline Curtis JJ

• Caesar
    • CONSERVATORI: Ancient Coins & Their Provenances
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2013, 06:29:39 pm »
EDIT -- Oh, after re-reading, I see that there must be a big backlog. Maybe better to try to make personal contact and wait to see if I can help or find out when things slow down...

What about gmail accounts?

I have an example of a Lucius Verus AE18 from Augusta Traiana, reverse showing snake and tripod, not isn't listed on wildwinds. There is one specimen in the Staatliche Museen, Berlin, cataloged in Edith Schönert-Geiss (Griechisches Münzwerk: die Münzprägung von Augusta Traiana und Traianopolis) as Augusta Traiana type 103 (Varbanov cites that Schönert-Geiss, lists it as type 903). There is an image of a cast of the Berlin specimen on the Ashmolean Museum/RPC-Online Project. Besides that, I don't know of any other source or website that presents an image or cites the coin at all (except for a CNG Auction in which another specimen was sold as part of a group lot, but was not pictured clear).

If possible I would like to submit it for inclusion. Should I try to send a message?
“Collect the collectors…” John W Adams’ advice to J Orosz (Asylum 38, 2: p51)

Galleries https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=27154

All coins are guaranteed for eternity