Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Question on selling "collectable" forgeries  (Read 943 times)

AOTAntiques

Question on selling "collectable" forgeries
« on: January 05, 2007, 03:00:19 am »
Some people collect some forgeries right?

However, there is an absolute glut of really bad one’s on eBay now.
(and all over actually)

If someone had a beautiful collectable 19th century forgery to offer, what are the chances of getting what the coin should go for if they list it as a forgery now?

I mean, dishonest sellers are saying their bad fakes are genuine and getting handsome prices for most of them (not nearly as much as they would if the coins were authentic, I understand that)

With all the people out there that are so inexperienced in ancients, they’re paying high prices for totally awful fakes

I know I have seen Becker coins fetch a fair price, but without a name such as Becker, how would one go about being honest and getting the best price they can for their “good” forgery?
(Again “good” being subjective) I know there are purest out there that do not believe a forgery is worth anything at all…because after all, ancient should be ancient and I understand that.

I don’t know, I guess it just makes me seethe knowing that the sellers that sell fakes knowingly are coming out ahead of the honest people that only want to collect, buy, sell and trade in an honest manor….it’s sad really

Offline Carolus Magnus

• Praetorian
Re: Question on selling "collectable" forgeries
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 07:51:56 pm »
A collector lurks out there for any type of coin you may have. As long as you are honest in your description, I believe you can sell any fake, forgery, fantasy piece, or tooled coin that you may have, as long as it is described truthfully. Some people buy these to fill a spot in the collection untill a valid coin at a decent price comes along. Some collect to put in a "Black Cabinet" as a study piece. What is it worth? and can you get a good price for it? This depends as always, on what the person that desires this type, is willing to pay. Get two people interested, and the value soars. On the other hand, some collectors would not spend 1 cent on a false coin. It ticks me off as well that sellers knowingly put coins out there that they know are fake, but describe them as genuine. And yes, some make a very good profit from this, and never seem to suffer for their actions. However, I get a great deal of satisfaction from being an honest dealer. And I strongly believe that " What goes around comes around ". Somewhere eventually there is a price we pay for our actions, and I try to make it as small a cost as I can.
                                                                                                          Regards

Chuck T

All coins are guaranteed for eternity