Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: My new online Cohen : www.virtualcohen.com  (Read 1094 times)

inperconst

My new online Cohen : www.virtualcohen.com
« on: October 24, 2006, 02:57:49 am »
Dear friends,

I would like to introduce my new web site, a new (and hopefully usable) online version of Cohen.

The site is www.virtualcohen.com, amongst its features:

- Tree-structured menu of dynasties and  emperors
- Search for a name (searching for SALONIN will return all the headings that contain "salonin", even ones like "Valerian I, Gallienus and Salonina")
- Large and small images

I would like to have some criticism and comments, and obviously suggestions.

The most dubious part was structuring the menu-tree.

The first two "main branches" are just used to collect the accessory texts in the volumes (prefaces, tables of contents etc.) The rest of the site tries to "forget" the original physical structure of the volumes...

The other "main branches" are taken from the categorization of Roman Emperors in Wikipedia.

The first-level nodes are often quit arbitrary, and are used to break up the lists of emperors that can otherwise get very long.

The third-level leaves list all the headings in Cohen.

The fact is, following this scheme and in the same time the page order in Cohen sometimes leads to odd results (as the Britannic Emperors under Tetrarchy and Cosntantinian Family)

It is true that the "Search names" function helps, but still  I am not completely convinced of this arrangement.

Anyone has better ideas on this?

So, be welcome and have fun with it!
Ciao

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re: My new online Cohen : www.virtualcohen.com
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 07:35:09 am »
Hi inperconst!

I have taken a short look and I think you have done a good work! Congrats! The scanned sites are much better than in the old online version and the handling is nice! I will use your site from now on and will report my experiences when I have a better overview!

Thanks!

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 08:05:18 am »
Very nice!

This is much faster and easier to use than the other online version.

A couple of features that might be nice to add, one easy, one hard would be:

1) An easy way to print a page image (print button that displays just the page, and if possible also starts the browser print)

2) OCR the images (doesn't have to be perfect) and build a keyword->page index to allow searching by content

I'm a programmer also, so I realize the effort for 2)... but it wold be nice!

Ben

inperconst

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 03:59:30 pm »
1) An easy way to print a page image (print button that displays just the page, and if possible also starts the browser print)
Brilliant idea, thanks!
Just the kind of suggestions I came here for!

2) OCR the images (doesn't have to be perfect) and build a keyword->page index to allow searching by content
Working on that, but ... don't hold your breath!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity