Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Macrinus Roman Provincial  (Read 985 times)

Offline Kelly

• Consul
  • Too many coins, not enough time.
Macrinus Roman Provincial
« on: July 09, 2004, 03:07:59 pm »
Hello,
I have an AE18 of Macrinus in need of an ID.  The obverse legend is:

KMOPPEA  (ANT)NINOC

The reverse legend in four lines:

NIKO
POLI
TWNPP
CICTP

Ancientcoins.biz indicates the reverse is for Nicopolis As Istrum2/Moesia Inferior.

Could someone provide a Moushmov, or for that matter any attribution for this coin?
Thanks,
Kelly

Offline tacrolimus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Why, oh why didn't I take the blue pill?
Re:Macrinus Roman Provincial
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2004, 03:19:08 pm »
It looks like Diadumenian to me, Varbanov 2842.
Luigi
I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member (Woody Allen paraphrasing Groucho Marx)

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2004, 03:19:57 pm »
   Nicopolis ad Istrum as you say, not Macrinus (an older man, always bearded) but his son Diadumenian (though that name is omitted from the legend), AMNG 1890 (Hermitage Museum).  
   By engraver's error an O is omitted from rev. legend: PRC for PROC.  Same error on the Hermitage coin, which is likely to be from the same dies as yours.
Curtis Clay

Offline Kelly

• Consul
  • Too many coins, not enough time.
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2004, 03:26:11 pm »
Curtis and Luigi,
The Macrinus came from a Wildwinds partial inscription search.  When I did an earlier search using less letters on the obverse legend, Diadumenian's name did pop up!  It is one of those cases when less is more.

Interesting to note this coin could have a die match!  I will have to include that fact in my notes.

Thanks to both of you and have a great weekend!
Kelly

All coins are guaranteed for eternity