Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Smoothed Orodes II Tetradrachm?  (Read 2178 times)

Offline ThatParthianGuy

• Praetorian
Smoothed Orodes II Tetradrachm?
« on: October 09, 2017, 04:19:00 pm »
Hello all,
A scarcer Orodes II tetradrachm was recently put up for sale by a reputable dealer. However, I have a serious qualm about the condition of this coin: it appears to be smoothed to me. I found a picture of the same coin from an auction just 7 years ago, and it looks a lot different. I have included the older and newer images of the coin, respectively. Here are the differences I noted:

-Graffiti: The graffiti present in the obverse field, resembling two Xs, is no longer there.
-Pits: On the earlier image, there appears to be numerous pits/divots on the surface of the coin, including to the left of the graffiti and in the outer margins of the reverse. There is also a pit on Orodes' cheek, just below the eye. These are all gone on the newer image.

So what do you think? Let me know.
Thanks,
TPG

Offline stevex6

• Caesar
Re: Smoothed Orodes II Tetradrachm?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 05:10:49 pm »
I could almost be talked into thinking it is merely a photo with a bit less contrast, for I can still see most of the issues on both coins ..... but man, the missing graffiti is really a bit odd, eh? (yah, it may have been slightly "improved" ... botox!!)

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 05:57:06 pm »
Hi,

I agree with Steve in that it could just be the lighting.

Last night, I took photos last night of the same coin using a different lighting method - placing the light source at such an angle that it bounces straight up into the lens as though originating from there (axial lighting). This lighting technique makes silver coins look like "proof" coins: the tiniest imperfections stand out but on the plus side all details including legends are much clearer.

If I get a chance later today I will post a couple photos to illustrate how different the same coins look using different lighting set ups.

The second photo below uses softer indirect lighting (less constrasty) which can obscure details.

Of course without the coin in hand this is just speculation!
Have you contacted the dealer and asked them to confirm if the graffiti and other marks are still present? Or to send you additional photos?

Peter

Offline ThatParthianGuy

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 06:43:19 pm »

Have you contacted the dealer and asked them to confirm if the graffiti and other marks are still present? Or to send you additional photos?

No, I have not gotten the chance to. I will make sure to do so when I get the chance.

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 05:21:47 am »
As promised, here is an example I put together.

You can see the condition of the coin more clearly in the right hand photo.

Same coin, just different lighting set up.

Peter

Offline ThatParthianGuy

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 08:18:50 pm »

You can see the condition of the coin more clearly in the right hand photo.

Peter

Thanks so much. I definitely see what you're saying, and it looks like I was mistaken when I said the darker spots were gone on the tetradrachm. You can still see traces of them in the different lighting. However, the scratches on your example are all still visible. Meanwhile, the graffiti on the obverse of the tetradrachm is gone. The field is spotless. I'm still concerned about that.

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 03:23:07 am »
The dealer you refer to frequently cleans coins before resale.

I have purchased several coins with good provenance from him that were cleaned between his purchase of them at auction and subsequent resale on his VCoins site.

Cleaning could contribute to the changed photographic appearance diminishing the contrast of the graffito marks compared to that of the the toned/dirty coin.  

The example you posted has clearly been subject to cleaning between images.
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity