Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: RULES: Be Nice, No Religion or Politics, No Selling, No Foul Language  (Read 79340 times)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
The use of vulgar language is not appropriate on this board.  We will delete posts that contain foul language and obvious attempt to circumvent our language editor.  This board is rated G and will stay that way.  

Use of asterisks, apostrophes, spaces or any other method to bypass our censored words is absolutely prohibited.  Members attempting to bypass our censored word list will be banned from the boards.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: RULES: Be Nice, No Religion or Politics, No Selling, No Foul Language
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2003, 07:05:49 am »
Modern politics and religion are not subjects for discussion on these boards. Controversial political or religious avatars and personal signatures are also are prohibited.   

In particular, anti-American politics will not be discussed. I am your host. In addition to owning FORVM Ancient Coins and I am a retired U.S. Navy commander. I find anti-American propaganda very offensive. I often disagree with my own government and I also have strong political opinions but I do not discuss my political opinions here. 

That said, one of the most important reason to study the ancients is the lessons of history. Humans keep doing the same stupid things over and over. We can discuss how the lessons of history might apply today.  You should, however, be able to discuss historical events and how they might offer lessons for today without offending. If you can't, don't bother to discuss it here. If the lesson from history is valid and compelling, you should be able to discuss the historical events and allow the reader to draw their own lessons from it. 

Religion may be discussed only as it applies very specifically to coins. For example, the meaning behind Christian symbols on Roman or Byzantine coins is an appropriate discussion. Whether or not the denarius of Tiberius is the true Tribute Penny is an appropriate discussion. Discussing whether or not events in the Bible are historical facts is not an appropriate discussion. Comparing one religion to another is not an appropriate discussion. It is impossible for me clearly and absolutely delineate the difference between appropriate and inappropriate religious discussion. However, any discussion that insults religious beliefs or results in a heated debate about issues of faith is prohibited. 

Political or religious avatars and personal signatures are highly discouraged but not entirely prohibited. For example, "Jesus Loves You" or "Muhammad is his Prophet" would be OK in a signature, a cross or Krishna image would be OK as an avatar. Positive personal messages are OK. Offensive, insulting or even just controversial political or religious messages are not. What is controversial? I don't know how to define it, but I know it when I see it. If you are considering something but think it might be controversial, forget it, it undoubtedly is controversial to someone else.   

People come here to talk about ancient coins. If we talk about other things, particularly those that offend people, we are straying from the purpose of the boards. There are plenty of places to talk politics, religion and every other topic.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
This board is hosted by a coin shop, FORVM ANCIENT COINS.   No selling or advertising is allowed by other dealers except  links to sales on other sites on the "For Sale Someplace Else" board.   The one exception is for our dealer members designated Procurator Monetae.  Their contributions are important to the boards and in recognition of their support we will happily allow them to advertise and endorse their firms any way they like!  

Endorsement of other dealers is tolerated, but not particularly appreciated.  I consider it a personal insult when someone recommends another supplier for something that FORVM or our Procurator Monetae members have in stock.  

If someone has identified a coin they want on the want list board and you spot one somewhere, letting them know by instant message may be the more appropriate than posting.  

You can include a link to your site and identify yourself as a dealer, etc. in your signature.  A link to your site is included automatically if you add the URL to your profile.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
RULES: Be Nice, No Religion or Politics, No Selling, No Foul Language
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2004, 07:51:28 am »
The number one rule of this discussion board is BE NICE!
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
RULE: New Problem - USE A NEW TOPIC
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2005, 08:02:36 pm »
If you have a problem, please do not reply to another members topic.  That is their issue.  Do not dilute their issue with yours.  Please start a new topic.  Only use reply if you have the EXACT same problem or you have a solution. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Rule: Bouncing Emails = Deleted Account
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 04:56:40 pm »
We periodically clean up the My Forum and Discussion Board accounts.  If your email address is not valid (3 or more consecutive emails to you have bounced), your account will be deleted. Deleted accounts cannot be restored. Please ensure you have a valid email address on your account.    
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity