Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Ancient Egyptian Gold Bastet Amulet  (Read 2341 times)

Offline Serendipity

• Consul
    • My Gallery
Ancient Egyptian Gold Bastet Amulet
« on: February 26, 2021, 08:52:23 pm »
One of the ancient Egyptian antiquities which has captivated me recently is an absolutely exquisite Egyptian gold Bastet amulet dating from the New Kingdom Period, c. 1550-1070 BC. It’s infinitesimally small and features a seated cat that is barely a centimetre high. It’s just half a gram of gold in weight. It still has black tar-like traces of bitumen embalming fluid on it perhaps from being buried with a mummy. Amazingly, the amulet can stand on its integral flat base on a tabletop unlike modern pendants.

Bastet was the Egyptian cat goddess of the home, domesticity, women's secrets, cats, fertility, and childbirth. She protected the home from evil spirits and disease, especially diseases associated with women and children. The gold amulets are far too small to be showcased which is why they’re being sold as museum rejects from the 1920s. Wealthy industrialists were inspired by the discovery of Tutankhamun’s tomb in the 1920s to become amateur collectors of Egyptian antiquities. The gold cat amulets might have been sold to well-off pilgrims worshipping at the Temple of Bubastis.

I’m totally baffled how ancient Egyptian artisans could create anything so infinitesimally small and anatomically perfect without the aid of a magnifying lens. Modern goldsmiths would struggle to create such tiny gold objects even with a microscope. Regrettably, I had to give the beautiful gold Bastet amulet a miss after I realised that there was no place where I would be able to store such a tiny object without losing it. I sometimes wonder if what Egyptologists think of as genuine Egyptian antiquities might be cleverly contrived fakes from the 1920s. The artistry of some Egyptian antiquities is truly astounding.

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
Re: Ancient Egyptian Gold Bastet Amulet
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2021, 09:59:26 pm »
pics or it never happened.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Serendipity

• Consul
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2021, 01:15:24 am »
pics or it never happened.

Thank Bastet! The images downloaded! I don’t know whether I should forget my regrets and snap up the amulet before someone else does. I’ve got this theory that those Egyptian cat amulets without holes punched in the suspension loops like this one were being used as votive offerings by pilgrims at the Temple of Bubastis comparable to Christian votive candles. Alternatively, they might have been reserved for burial with mummies or the holes intentionally blocked after the amulet wearers died.

Offline Serendipity

• Consul
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2021, 04:35:16 am »
For anyone interested in ancient Egyptian amulets, I highly recommend the informative book 'Amulets of Ancient Egypt' (London, 1994) by Carol Andrews. I own a copy of the book myself which is illustrated throughout with beautiful photos.

Offline Serendipity

• Consul
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 01:14:26 pm »
UPDATE: The good news is that I finally caved in to the irresistible charms of the cat-goddess Bastet and bought the exquisite Egyptian Bastet amulet. The statuette is cast in solid gold and depicts the feline goddess with remarkable anatomical accuracy in her traditional ‘hieroglyphic’ seated zoomorphic cat-form with the tail always wrapped around its right side along the paws. The goddess sits erect on a sub-rectangular base and has a blocked suspension loop to the nape of her neck. The amulet weighs in at just 0.5g and is a mere 0.8cm (1/4") high. The seller was kind enough to supply gratis one of those floating coin and gem holders with a silicone membrane when I expressed my fears about how I could store my first tiny antiquity.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2021, 01:20:07 pm »
Congrats!  Beautiful piece.  I sold my shabtis,  kinda creepy knowing they were in a tomb.

Offline Russ

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2023, 10:58:10 am »
Just an opinion/observation... It looks as if the cat was cast; then, the tube for suspension was soldered on. The hole may just be filled with unguents.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity