Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: help to ID fibula  (Read 1048 times)

Offline VonDrobac

• Consul
help to ID fibula
« on: June 30, 2013, 03:58:20 pm »
I could not find this fibula by myself in Bojovic, any info will be grateful.

approx. 55 mm

VonDrobac
Let justice be done, though the world perish!

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: help to ID fibula
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 02:44:44 pm »
I think that it an early Germanic crossbow fibula.

Something that belongs on this wikipage:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=tall-catch%20crossbow%20fibula

Though perhaps a lower catch variant.

There would be a fairly long axis pin through the hole in the head and a spring wrapped around that.

The type would be Germanic and come from tribes north of the Danube.  It could also be Germanic origin but have been used by the Sarmatians.

I will let you know if I ever find out more.

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

taurisker

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 03:48:42 pm »
Sure not sarmatic.
Late roman imperial times (Almgren group IX) ca. 300 AD: Germanic Limes, Rhein-Weser region, Danube Limes.
Typical for the time is the high needle holder and the decoration on the back.

Regards

Offline VonDrobac

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 03:15:07 pm »
Thank you for response, i have little searched and tried to find picture guided by your advices.
And i think that i found something that to me look like my fibula. It is under number 201 but with different decorations, but did not have luck with google translate to find out what says for that number?

http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typologia_fibul_wed%C5%82ug_Oscara_Almgrena
Let justice be done, though the world perish!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity