Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Need Help Identifying this Cos-II SC Coin.... Please help  (Read 16304 times)

INSAIN979

Need Help Identifying this Cos-II SC Coin.... Please help
« on: April 02, 2009, 06:18:50 pm »
Hello everyone.  I need help Identifying this Cos-II SC Lead Coin.  It looks like an older gentleman with a beard on the front of the coin but I can't make out too many of the words.  The back looks like it has Four (4) horses pulling a Chariot and has COS-II CS on the bottom of the coin.  If anyone can give me any information as far as if it is a real coin or a fake and what ventage and area the coin is from.  Thank you all.

INSAIN979

Offline kc

• Caesar
Re: Need Help Identifying this Cos-II SC Coin.... Please help
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 09:21:23 pm »
hi insain,

it seems to be a fake. :(

regards

kc

Offline fordicus

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 09:29:02 pm »
Agreed, fake to my eyes.

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 01:44:41 am »
A common tourist fake.

From my "black cabinet":

Lucius Verus, cast tourist fake, fantasy type, 20th century,
Æ "Sestertius" (38-39 mm / 14,77 g),
Obv.: L VERVS AVG ARM - PARTH MAX TRP VIIII, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
Rev.: COS II / S C in ex., Jupiter in Quadriga left, holding whip and reins.

34-36 mm / 16,37 g

INSAIN979

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 11:48:15 am »
Thank you everyone.  Well I guess it would be good for using as a spare pencil...lol

All coins are guaranteed for eternity