Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: New category of struck fakes  (Read 1235 times)

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
New category of struck fakes
« on: December 07, 2012, 04:49:29 am »
All below from the same seller, and listed as probable reproductions, so I'm not proposing an NFSL. One copy is also listed in a January NYINC auction (not for long I suspect):

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: New category of struck fakes
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 02:33:11 pm »
Whatever they did differently with the second coin, it's a big difference. The original fakes sold on Ebay stick out like a sore thumb but this one looks ok, if you're not familiar with the style of the original.
Andreas Reich

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 04:16:30 pm »
Could the second coin, or a die-identical specimen, be the host coin for the first?

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 05:19:46 pm »
Wow.  Some of those are scary Andrew.  Thanks for sharing them.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 05:36:20 pm »
Could the second coin, or a die-identical specimen, be the host coin for the first?

Rupert

No - the type is a fantasy, it's not a real coin type. Apart from the style and fabric (which is totally wrong for the issue), the "twin Apollos" but with "stars of the Dioscuri" above their head is a plainly fantasy type. Apollo can't be twin and can't have stars above head, and the Dioscuri are never shown without pileus and with Apollo's hair. It's clearly impossible.

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 05:45:30 pm »
No - the type is a fantasy, it's not a real coin type. Apart from the style and fabric (which is totally wrong for the issue), the "twin Apollos" but with "stars of the Dioscuri" above their head is a plainly fantasy type. Apollo can't be twin and can't have stars above head, and the Dioscuri are never shown without pileus and with Apollo's hair. It's clearly impossible.

I've never really been attracted to the type enough to pay attention to it, but researching it on coinarchives just now there are definately design choices that don't exist, most notably at first is the hair.  At first glance, and even second second glance imo, it's a pretty convincing coin until you look at reference pieces.

The coin has been withdrawn fwiw.  Ah, the intrigue of it all!

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 06:07:19 pm »
It'll be fun, they have a wide range of dies in this workshop from all kinds of area and eras. With these less obvious flans we will probably see a few of these outside of Ebay in the near future.
Andreas Reich

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 07:16:51 pm »
I think they are fairly obviously the wrong style
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 03:11:09 am »
Yes, but this coin fooled a big auction house and I think there will be a lot of smaller auction houses to offer the occasional coin if the forgers manage to strike a significant number of their coins onto these much improved flans. The old ones are obviously modern in style but what most gave them away was the surfaces, the cracks etc. They wouldn't fool anyone for even a split second and this coin fooled at least one professional numismatist for several minutes or more. I'm NOT saying the sky is falling.
Andreas Reich

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 07:32:32 am »
For similar coins from all periods, presumably from the same source, check out Mangizite-2008 on Ebay at just about any time. I include a typical offering below - note the "I am no no numismatist, therefore I give no guarantee...."

Ross G.

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 07:57:50 am »
And here's another one that has been around for a while.
Notice though that these types aren't fooling anybody (on Ebay anyway), and on reflection, I'm assuming that they were originally produced as tourist souvenirs.

Ross G.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 11:38:04 am »
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Nebukadnezar

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2012, 02:42:53 pm »
Better picture showing the  "Apparently (a) unique and unpublished type."
What is exactly wrong with the fabric? (Is it a machine pressed fake?)
With best regards

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2012, 03:14:21 pm »
Better picture showing the  "Apparently (a) unique and unpublished type."
What is exactly wrong with the fabric? (Is it a machine pressed fake?)
With best regards

The fabric is perhaps ok for some ancient coin types, but not for this series (RRC 463, Cordia) which were struck on dumpy thick flans that were clearly concave on the reverse. Genuine coins would thus not have flat surfaces, and would not have edge cracks that look like these fakes. There are many stylistic problems, of which one is obvious - the interface between the jugate heads on the forgeries is a channel or dip, with the behind-head fading out; on genuine coins this does not happen and the front-head builds straight on top of the behind-head. The lettering is also wrong; on genuine coins the words MN.CORDIVS do not run in parallel with the dotted edge but are a more vertical, gentle curve. Note also how Venus leans forward on the genuine coins, and the same forward-leaning Venus type is seen on all the coins of Julius Caesar, so it was very deliberate. And cupid should be attached to Venus, not leaping from her back. It's totally wrong, and many specific stylistic points apply to other coin types of this era, for example how the lettering is laid out.

I said, "style and fabric are totally wrong for the issue", and these were some of the points I noticed. To recognise these points, it's probably necessary to know genuine coins of the issue or period. I show a couple of such genuine coins below. I wouldn't expect an auction house staff member to have these points by memory in his head, but I'd expect someone, coming across such an unusual piece, to go look at some genuine coins in order to check for stylistic similarities and differences. Then the combination of impossible type with wrong style and fabric should raise a lot of red flags.

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2012, 05:01:45 pm »
The style choice of the hair on the foreground portrait is even more telling imo.  Many of the originals have distinct caps, not a bare head with curly locks like Apollo.

Also, the cupid on the shoulder of looks more like a midget paper hanger than a cherub.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2012, 08:04:56 pm »
Quote from: carthago on December 08, 2012, 05:01:45 pm
The style choice of the hair on the foreground portrait is even more telling imo.  Many of the originals have distinct caps, not a bare head with curly locks like Apollo.

Yes - that was my starting point: the design is wrong. Not "many" of the originals but, all:

Matters of style and fabric are second-degree.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity